Tyre pressures for different loads

MondeoGhiaX

hello,

the normal tyre pressures for my car are 31 psi front and rear. i had to make a 250 mile trip the other day with 3 adult passengers and a boot full of suitcases. the handbook says in this situation the front tyres sould be inflated to 35 psi and the rears to 41 psi. the problem is, on the (immediate) return trip i would be on my own in the car with nothing in the boot. now, i didnt really fancy the idea of messing around at the side of the road with a tyre pressure gauge, trying to let the right amount of air out of the tyres. so i opted to inflate the tyres to somewhere near the middle of these limits and hope it would do for both trips. is that the best policy?

thanks.

is this practical in the real world? how would you know how much air to let out of a hot tyre to make it the correct pressure, or indeed how much air to put in if going the other way round. how many taxi drivers adjust tyre pressures between fares, and they are carrying all sorts of different loads all day? <_<

cheers.

You are correct to say the return trip with hot tyres would effect the accuracy of the deflated tyres but you should also find in the guide book motorway pressures are not to dissimilar to loaded pressures.

Taxi drivers in my experience couldn't careless about tyres let alone tyre pressures <_<

on all my car's no matter what is in it thay are allway's on same preasure :sad01_anim: usually 30 psi..... with say a 205 0r 215 40/45 17" tyre i thought 30 /35 would be the limit of air to put in them ???? as on of my old car's had to be on 35 pis with it's 205/50/16's and put 215 40 17's on with 35 pis and thay wore out in the middle first ?

Do the pressures in the handbook still apply if you change the wheel size though?

No, not unless the change in size is part of the guide table....

I think i need to open a thread explaining why there is such a diverse area for tyre pressures.

Do the pressures in the handbook still apply if you change the wheel size though?

I think i need to open a thread explaining why there is such a diverse area for tyre pressures.

Good idea...as I'd like to know how you work out how much air to put into a non standard sized tyre.

Good idea...as I'd like to know how you work out how much air to put into a non standard sized tyre.

I'm not telling...... You will have to wait for the thread :sad01_anim:

I'm not telling...... You will have to wait for the thread :huh:

spoil sport :sad01_anim:

I'm not telling...... You will have to wait for the thread :huh:

spoil sport :sad01_anim:

Me...... Never :huh: