A typical complaint

Tony

Today i set a Lexus IS220 who's owner was complaining the back end felt loose off the bump....

The calibration was set two weeks ago by Lexus so what went wrong?

As per usual the owner was not given a printout even though he requested one :D I feel the reason for this is most dealerships do not have the equipment in house so any print out will have the name of the company that set the calibration on the header.

I suppose this puts the dealer in a belittling position and there is the differential in fees to consider.....

Anyway.... I measured the calibration and found this problem..

NSR toe> +3.9mm

OSR toe> +4.8mm

NSF toe> +2.7mm

OSF toe> 2.9mm

Actual positions should be

Rear toe> +.8mm per side

Front toe> +.4mm per side

Why? What went wrong.....

On most calibration machines the set-up procedure is to tell the cameras where they are in space....Information like

1> wheel diameter front

2> wheel diameter rear

3> track width front/rear

4> wheel width differential front/rear

The IS220 has 8.5" wide front wheels and 9.5" rear wheels (aha)

Since the cameras were not told their correct place in space, they over calculated the toe measurement and the operator blindly set the toe incorrectly...... Simple as that.

• 2 months later...

this sort of thing makes you wonder...many a time the car is simply driven onto the ramp...they select the make of car it is etc neglecting the fact that some people have lowered the cars or use different wheels and then they just go about adjusting........really it makes you wonder what good is all the high tech equipment when the person doing the adjusting is probably knows nothing of the machine or how to use it..:) :D

This is symptomatic of the usual main dealer drone mentallity :)

It's very difficult to find a Tech that actually fully understands what he is doing any why he is doing it. Most tend to rely on information given to them without question.

Are the different width wheels standard then? Surely they should have known that or it would be with the other information on the car? :)

If no printout is given by the previous garage I suppose they have no grounds for a refund as they can't prove what they set it at?

Are the different width wheels standard then? Surely they should have known that or it would be with the other information on the car? :D

If no printout is given by the previous garage I suppose they have no grounds for a refund as they can't prove what they set it at?

The wheels are not OEM and like you say since no printout was given the owner had no evidence to complain :)

Are the different width wheels standard then? Surely they should have known that or it would be with the other information on the car? :P

The wheels are not OEM and like you say since no printout was given the owner had no evidence to complain ;)

I know it's not the job of the customer but did they not say the wheels weren't OEM? But then thinking about it the majority will assume it wouldn't matter.

Just goes to show how much the customer can get ripped off because someone doesn't have much knowledge except looking at the book/computer and doing what it says!

Are the different width wheels standard then? Surely they should have known that or it would be with the other information on the car? :P

The wheels are not OEM and like you say since no printout was given the owner had no evidence to complain ;)

I know it's not the job of the customer but did they not say the wheels weren't OEM? But then thinking about it the majority will assume it wouldn't matter.

Just goes to show how much the customer can get ripped off because someone doesn't have much knowledge except looking at the book/computer and doing what it says!

I think the moral here is the lack of knowledge from the operator... The customer wasn't ripped off, more a victim of the industries ignorance.

Most machines out there need the operator to tell the cameras where they are in space.. X, Y, Z. More expensive machines like the one TDi use can triangulate their position in space so X, Y, Z is not a command prompt.

The fact remains a simple error has drastic consequences.... It's a crying shame this life threatening position to drastically effect the cars handling is not regulated!!!