Subscriptions / Membership

Well, as some of you may be aware the Buy & Sell Forum has been under review for a while now.

Tony has been deciding and reviewing how this section will be run.

We would like to hear from YOU as the members of this site, your ideas an opinions on this matter.

There are a few areas we would like to hear your opinions about, they are on the two main areas of

Membership (regular users)

Traders (business users)

Those with business interests may wish to PM me rather than post here for confidentiality, where as the subscriptions based members can voice there ideas here.

The proposals would be, maybe some kind of yearly membership ... a small fee, that would be aimed at covering web site maintenance, database storage, and general web site hosting fees and other fees that are incurred during the running of the site.

Some of the advatanges of regular membership, would be

Ability to post in Buy & Sell

Personal storage space for images

Some kind of discount scheme for Geometry (exact figures yet to be announced)

These are the three main areas that we propose to offer as subscription based membership.

As for the business / advertising front of interest, we are currently deciding the better option for advertisers.

This will be either,

Your own Sub Forum, Link to Website + Banners based on a monthly subscription

OR

Banners Alone, based on a 'pay per click' system, similar to Google's AdWords, where you are only paying for the amount of clicks that are generated to your site.

The pay per click system will also allow advertisers to add / remove there own banners, and also monitor the amount of clicks they are receiving from this site.

If anyone has any more ideas, of areas that they would maybe like to see ... or not see, we would love to here them.

Regards,

Can-o-worms :D

Here is something I suggested on a place which operates a trader thingy... :unsure: (following on from an issue someone had with a trader, which in reality brought some bad press for the place (IMHO)

IMHO I think the lesson from this episode may be ... what can XYZWebSite do to ensure that this doesn't happen again?

I certainly dont have an definative answer, maybe it is up for discussion?

Maybe you need to tighten your T&C regarding performance towards customers if paying for advertising on the site (not seen them so cant comment..) ??

maybe advertisers need to sign up to a memorandum of understanding where by they agree to certain response times for queries / order process updates......??

Any of the above can only be seen as improving the customer relations and I would expect a decent company to have some timescales for dispute resolution or answering queries about orders....

I know for example from personal experiance that A.N.OtherSupplier has PM'ed me within minutes of a queriey been raised, which is exceptional.... maybe a 12 - 24 hour responce time even if it is just a "Thankyou for the question, I'll get back to you in XXX".... it all helps.. an informed customer is generally a happier customer....

So in simple terms, if you get a supplier on board and they sign up to reply to order queries in say 48 hours from them being sent, then if they dont and someone PM's you regarding it, you have a justifiable reason to contact the supplier... after all it's a three way street here (if there were such a thing...)

1. Supplier wants to advertise to a target audience...

2. XYZWebSite would like to feel the benifit of supplying a target audience to improve the club's financial standing.

3. XYZWebSite members would like some comfort in the "approval" given to the supplier by LOC allowing them to advertise on the website...

You may recognise the above (or you maynot). I still stand by the sentiments expressed, and informed customer is a happier customer, it is simple people mangement.

There is an opertunity here to put something like this in place. Being asociated with a "bad trader" is something no one wants, it removes credability from the website hosting the traders audience.

Hope the above is taken in a constructive way btw :)

jiberjaber although we welcome comparisons with other forums you must understand wim does not compare nor operate in the same manner, so cannot be tarnished with the same brush.

I will overlap your 1,2,3 here though....

1:Supplier wants to advertise to a target audience. Well yes if not why become visible as a trader.

2:The site would benefit financially. Indeed it would. wim is the first of it's type in the world, constantly we open new doors and find even more expanse to fill.... Truth is it costs money....my money! Unless Gran dies tomorrow i will need finance to continue evolving wim in the expanse.

3:Approval. Authorized traders are of the highest pedigree. Buy and sell is subject to Policing, fortunately we have authority here with much experience that will set an immediate standard :unsure:

All of your concerns are welcomed and noted... The 'bad trader' is worrying but not free to exploit here undetected.

Tony,

I wasn't comparing or suggesting you do operate in the same manner as other forums, mearly adding some observations in how other models of trader subscriptions may learn from their experiances to provide a happier and safer environment for their userbase.

They are suggestions to do with as you see fit :D

The brush is firmly dry and in it's packet, the tarnishing substance is still sealed in it's tin :unsure: :)

Tony,

I wasn't comparing or suggesting you do operate in the same manner as other forums, mearly adding some observations in how other models of trader subscriptions may learn from their experiances to provide a happier and safer environment for their userbase.

They are suggestions to do with as you see fit :)

The brush is firmly dry and in it's packet, the tarnishing substance is still sealed in it's tin :unsure: :)

Believe me i knew your intentions were honorable but the wim forum is open to all and some may not understand the educated warning you displayed... i do and most here from LOC will but the general viewer may not, hence the explanation so that the new viewer can feel comfortable. :D

Jason,

Good points, however would you not think that if WIM had nothing to do with the trader or the deal ... that would be a bad thing ?

I mean let's face it, if you bought something from a trader ......... who advertised here, and you were not happy with it, what does that have 'anything' to do with WIM ?

It's between you and the trader .........

It's like picking up a yellow pages, and finding a plumber ...........

Plumber comes round, does a crap job that leaks after a week ........... who are you going to comaplain to ? the Plumber !

What an earth does it have anything to do with Yellow Pages ? They just advertise ...........

Or have you lost me ?

It's all about value added things though Amhet, there is no incentive for a person to use a trader affiliated with a site apart from if they:

a. add some sort of incentive to buy through there site link (discount or something else);

b. some form of trust worthyness is implied by the site accepting the trader as a "safe" advertiser.

I dont think you can compare the YP with a site such as WIM or LOC or any other collection of like minded enthusiasts, YP is a commercial org, and does what iy says on the tin, i.e. an unchecked list of companies with only their contact details. The case we are talking about is more of a "brand" value for WIM, and as such should be protected.

If one plumber in the YP does a kak job, yes you would take it up with the plumber, but it would be the "plumber whose details you found in Yellow pages", YP have 000's of users and advertisers, one rotton apple wouldn't end their reputation over night....

WIM is a totaly different case, there may only be 10 or so traders (maybe more who knows :unsure: )associated with te site say, and maybe inthe future a couple of thousand users but the risk to the reputation (and brand if we were to think further ahead) is higher..... eg:

"I got a terable plumber of the web site"

"I got a terrable plumber of the web site, but thanks to unique way website is set up, we got the problem resolved and were one big happy family again"

The difference is subtle, but means a lot on the scale you are dealing with at the moment.

also discount on tyres

LOL......discount for Fargo? the worlds rubber supply would run out the amount you buy :D :D

You can get a tyre insurance if your prone to punctures(1 tyre a year i think).....

id like to see a discount on regualr geom checks, say 3 a year or the like,..

also discount on tyres

For the clubs wim caps the initial Geometry to between £65 and £95.... the fine-tunes are free.... any concerns on the fine-tunes resulting in further tests are free..... reads pretty good so far....

For the clubs tyre prices are below on-line purchase prices and include a 30day insurance that covers accidental or malicious loss, with a free like for like replacement.... still reads pretty good.

Just to compare... A full Geometry on the IS200 non club member.. assuming all seven angles are incorrect would cost £148+vat... LOC Discount takes the cost down to £95 member £65 Gold member.

This satellite club structure will stop.... not good reading.

The 'Buy and Sell' section will endorse areas that cannot be found in other clubs... Membership will save the member money immediately depending on the needs....... saying that though LOC is very close to my heart so maybe the club will own 'special membership'...... A gift LOC gave me cannot be forgotten!

also discount on tyres

LOL......discount for Fargo? the worlds rubber supply would run out the amount you buy :D :D

You can get a tyre insurance if your prone to punctures(1 tyre a year i think).....

lol and youve driven how many miles in 2 years..

another suggestion:- an area that members can offer other members there services for a cheaper rate than norm...

No...but not becoz they wore down,just that i changed to 18's and i've been running these for 8.5k and still with plenty if tread on them.I took advantage of WIM when i first heard them on that "other car forum" as i was one of the first to visit WIM. :lol: :P

No...but not becoz they wore down,just that i changed to 18's and i've been running these for 8.5k and still with plenty if tread on them.I took advantage of WIM when i first heard them on that "other car forum" as i was one of the first to visit WIM. :lol: :P

whats the "other car forum?"

No...but not becoz they wore down,just that i changed to 18's and i've been running these for 8.5k and still with plenty if tread on them.I took advantage of WIM when i first heard them on that "other car forum" as i was one of the first to visit WIM. :P :P

whats the "other car forum?"

LOC :lol:

This is a tricky one.

The first thing is decide what WIM is going to be. Is it primarily and income stream or is it also a safe haven for like minded individuals in a semi-controlled environment? I suspect that it should be the latter.

IMHO i think that brand association or endorsement is inevitatable although unfair, so you will need to give careful consideration to who you let advertise, and also have clear disclaimers to protect yourself.

Unfortunately our industry is one of the few where there are little or no barriers to entry, which means that it is infested with people that shouldn't really be there.

Perhaps you could introduce a system of due dilligence which has a minum criteria along the lines of:

1. No part time traders.

2. No traders without a proper premises.

3. No traders without indemnity insurance.

4. No traders without a proven track record.

5. No traders that you are not comfortable being associated with.

The above are just suggestions, so I am sure you will have your own which are more suitable for your business model.

Getting back to the original question, as a business we expect to pay for any advertising medium. Most businesses view the resultant sales as a Return On Investment (ROI), so you will need to ensure that you pitch your fees correctly (quite low until WIM proves itself worthy of higher fees - which I'm sure won't be long :lol: ).

TDI will be happy to support you in your formative period (and this may also help you to attract other reputable businesses) and will hope you're not tempted to bring in any traders that could potentially devalue our brands via the association.

I don't have any preference of "pay per click" or a "banner" etc, as it is just a simple matter of "ROI" and "brand association" so will go with whatever works best. From your perspective, I would have thought you would have been better off selling advertising space.

Hope this helps :lol:

Some good points.

I too would like to see some discounts on geometery and tyres available to members if there is to be a membership fee.

Again to lend support i dont mind that as the WIM ethic is something that i like and feel a more sense of involvement and belonging to.

This is a tricky one.

1. No part time traders.

1. No part time traders. Why? many of us have full time jobs and the revenue from the part time trading is an additional income, not a primary income.

2. No traders without a proper premises. And why does (for instance) a mail-order trader need (for instance) to rent a warehouse. Your justification is totally flawed.

3. No traders without indemnity insurance. Rubbish!

4. No traders without a proven track record. And how do you propose to quantify this? How many customer's cars you've blown up?

5. No traders that you are not comfortable being associated with. As above, this is not quantifiable.

1. No part time traders. Why? many of us have full time jobs and the revenue from the part time trading is an additional income, not a primary income.

2. No traders without a proper premises. And why does (for instance) a mail-order trader need (for instance) to rent a warehouse. Your justification is totally flawed.

4. No traders without a proven track record. And how do you propose to quantify this? How many customer's cars you've blown up?

5. No traders that you are not comfortable being associated with. As above, this is not quantifiable.

I think these were suggestions not a personal attack on anyone as you have taken it.

This is a tricky one.

1. No part time traders.

Concept and visibility concludes nothing if evolution is not desired... Always a new issue will become evident.... if not how could we become better... litigation without a complete image is without foundation and worthless.

I will Police wim constructively in the buy/sell/trader section with absolute commitment to ensure the recipient/s safe trade..... If things spiral then the area (buy/sell) will be removed.. simple as that!

I must add if any past issues relating to Buy/Sell/Traders are brought into wim then the topics/posts will be deleted without notice as per agreement. Fact is.... if you have s**t on your shoe from another forum.... go wipe it on their mat!

tdiplc.....Volunteered nothing more than guidance in this area for me and i welcome this information.