Subaru Forester XT

liner33

Just bought this to replace my VW UP! GTI, realised I didn't do a thread for this car so briefly , fantastic fun cars, 115hp pocket rocket, has been a great daily but we are taking our Labrador (Which we didn't have when I bought the car) out much more often and its just not suitable, as a recent trip to Devon proved, mind you fully loaded with a roof box it averaged 56mpg at a steady 70mph and i have averaged 45mpg during the time I have owned it, and every drive made me smile , well recommended 

So the outgoing UP

jBAe4Gwh.jpg

The Lab 

qB6rwPVh.jpg

So car shopping consisted of finding something very practical that wouldn't get ruined by the dog and that was still a little fun for me on my own, the list consisted of mostly estates but I settled on either a Passat estate or the Forester , after checking both out in the flesh I decided I wanted the XT

Finding a good one wasn't easy, I checked out two scruffy ones before this, they are a rareish car and many were either too far away from me or too many miles, but found this 2015 one 2 hours away with just 6800miles , was told it was bought by an elderly lady who sadly developed cancer and died , it was left to her nurse who sold it (when the fuel price went mad probably) 

So here we are , its been parked outside so needs a good detail and the tyres date from wk23 2015 and are perished to all hell so have some Mich Cross Climates going on Thursday

Just for those that dont know about these they have the 2.0 boxer engine currently fitted to the WRX and develop about 240hp in the UK but are detuned from the WRX and other markets 250hp, suffice to say its nippy and fairly sporty for what it is 

Its coupled to a interesting CVT , in normal driving its behaves like a convention CVT and is seamless but in S mode the transmission behaves like a 6 speed conventional auto with defined shifts , in Sports # (# = Sharp) it behaves like a 8 speed, it has a manual mode as well 

Will add some better pics once i have detailed it , but the hosepipe ban means its just too much like hard work with watering cans 

3q07Iy0h.jpg

The UP sounds like a great car, I didn't realise they did a GTi version. I love the styling on that.

The Forester is a nice motor too, I've always fancied one. Is it the same 2L boxer engine that is in the Legacy? I still regret not getting one of those, would've been more fun than the Accord. I'd imagine mpg is low 20s around town and maybe 30 on a run. It's a shame they're so thirsty.

Yeah the UP GTI is a great little car. well not that little as its pretty similar to a mk1 Golf , the idea was to make a new Golf GTI harkening back to the original 

The Forester isn't going to be great on fuel for sure but I don't do loads of miles around 3k a year so its not a major concern, its a similar engine to the GT86/BRZ as in a FA20 but turbocharged , its currently fitted to the WRX I don't think anything else, its currently averaging 31mpg on Tesco 99 

RDH1dXil.jpg 

On 28/09/2022 at 10:48, liner33 said:

Yeah the UP GTI is a great little car. well not that little as its pretty similar to a mk1 Golf , the idea was to make a new Golf GTI harkening back to the original 

The Forester isn't going to be great on fuel for sure but I don't do loads of miles around 3k a year so its not a major concern, its a similar engine to the GT86/BRZ as in a FA20 but turbocharged , its currently fitted to the WRX I don't think anything else, its currently averaging 31mpg on Tesco 99 

RDH1dXil.jpg 

The forester looks like a cool car - my neighbour has one they have owned since I moved in - the boxer engines sound good

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202209240071865 Seen this one online - Lichfield remap STI from Japan in the Scooby blue

On 26/09/2022 at 11:48, liner33 said:

Just for those that dont know about these they have the 2.0 boxer engine currently fitted to the WRX and develop about 240hp in the UK but are detuned from the WRX and other markets 250hp, suffice to say its nippy and fairly sporty for what it is 

Its coupled to a interesting CVT , in normal driving its behaves like a convention CVT and is seamless but in S mode the transmission behaves like a 6 speed conventional auto with defined shifts , in Sports # (# = Sharp) it behaves like a 8 speed, it has a manual mode as well 

Been reading that you can get them tuned up to best part of 300 horsepower but that would turn it into a 20mpg guzzler lol

Probably wouldn't make a lot of difference to the day to day mpg, apparently they run 21psi of boost standard and the guy I watched over in Aus reckons that's as much as he recommends but you can get 300hp and 330ft lbs from a map and downpipe but that's the limit of the gearbox as well, I need to do more research as some of the options that they use in North America aren't compatible here for some reason   

On 28/09/2022 at 13:58, liner33 said:

No idea about the cat theft , they have two and one is before the turbo (Never heard of that before) and a sod to remove and the other is right after the turbo at the front of the car and also not easy 

Sounds like it'll be ok then. I read about them getting stolen in other countries but I'm not sure what year those are, probably older ones. Subarus aren't that popular over here so I doubt if they'd even know the location of them. 

On 02/10/2022 at 09:57, liner33 said:

Probably wouldn't make a lot of difference to the day to day mpg, apparently they run 21psi of boost standard and the guy I watched over in Aus reckons that's as much as he recommends but you can get 300hp and 330ft lbs from a map and downpipe but that's the limit of the gearbox as well, I need to do more research as some of the options that they use in North America aren't compatible here for some reason   

if you can get 300 off just a remap and downpipe then could be worth going for it!

On 02/10/2022 at 13:39, Rich said:

Sounds like it'll be ok then. I read about them getting stolen in other countries but I'm not sure what year those are, probably older ones. Subarus aren't that popular over here so I doubt if they'd even know the location of them. 

I think a lot of car makers are starting to move the cats into the engine bay

• 5 weeks later...

Well worked out a few things , I think they make a little less power than in other markets as they are mapped to run on 95 octane (But i always use super anyhow) 

Done a few things , ie replaced the interior bulbs with leds , fitted LED's to the DRL , fitted a set of mudflaps , replaced the horn with a pair of high rated ones and fitted a Whiteline roll bar kit and finished the service, (oil/filter. air filter and pollen filter ) 

3g08Fvih.jpg

2KSykwmh.jpg

khfZkVgh.jpg97mh1F9h.jpg

Very impressed with the difference , there was the usual thicker anti roll bar along with further bracing along the lower arm . Worthwhile imo , not that its going to handle like a sports car but a little less body roll is a good thing 

Had the aircon regassed yesterday it needs the newer stuff that's twice the price so £95 but it was done on the drive 

I looked at getting a whiteline bar for the Mondeo but decided it probably wasn't worth it for that kind of car. Glad it's made a difference.

Yeah the new aircon gas is really expensive. It's annoying when you get it done and then find out you have a leak a few weeks later so lose it. That was with the cheaper gas though!