Unsure if this is the way it should be - S3 steering

brad001

Hi, I have a 2002 S3 which is totally standard. A couple of months ago I had a snapped spring replaced under warranty (FNS). Since then I had it in my mind that it was somehow different so I have it 4 wheel aligned by a different comapny. These guys said that it does not need adjusting as it was within tolerances even though I explained that it was pulling to the left a little.

So - here is what happens now:

Driving on a straight road where the camber falls normally from right to left my steering wheel is slightly higher on the left and the car pulls to the left a little.

Driving on a straight road where the camber falls normally from left to right (quite rare on UK roads unless you are on the wrong side of the road) my steering wheel is slightly higher on the right and the car pulls to the right a little.

Driving on a straight road with zero camber has my steering wheel dead level and does not pull either way.

Tyre wear is normal with no issues.

Is this normal or is there a problem?

thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No it's not normal.

The road crown should only deform the tyres circumference inertly leading to an "eventual" drift subject to the direction of the crown.

Can you measure the front trim height.... This is the distance between the middle of the wheel arch and the middle of the wheel.

Sorry for the delay - had to claen the cars!

Anyway, its hard to measure as I am unsure whether the road has to be perfectly level or not, but trying to find a flat piece of road is near impossible.

My drive was petty close though.

OSF - 36.4

NSF - 36.3

Its difficult to measure though as all I had was a one meter spirit level with a built in inches and centimetres. My drive falls away to the OSF very slightly (about a bubbles worth in the spirit level).

I may not be accurate on this though!!

I give up - what is the best method for measuring?

Tape measure in the vertical plane between the wheel arch and the wheel centre.....

In truth it's all a bit academic since your distress is the one coil fitment.

The ratio between the sprung and un-sprung coils is wrong by many 1000's of miles... They/you need to balance this before any real diagnostics can be voulenteered.

Tape measure in the vertical plane between the wheel arch and the wheel centre.....

The ratio between the sprung and un-sprung coils is wrong by many 1000's of miles... They/you need to balance this before any real diagnostics can be voulenteered.

Thanks Tony. Much appreciated for your input.

A call to Audi is in order tomorrow. Wish me luck...

Thanks Tony. Much appreciated for your input.

A call to Audi is in order tomorrow. Wish me luck...

post-2-1190014727.jpg

Called my local Audi centre. I have to take the vehicle in for a road test and for them to measure the height on either side of the front of the car.

They also said that it is not standard to change both springs. Great.

Their talking pants.... Obviously on the defensive and operating against the recommendations of Audi technical.

wim is an arbitrator between Peugeot/Citroen and the customer... If they did a similar thing i would insist the other coil is replaced and they would have to do it.

I totally agree with you Tony, but I have to follow their process if I want anything done.

Hopefully it won't get messy.

In view of your complaint and the advice from their own technical department why don't they don't just do the deed.... If only to shut you up?

It's also damaging to them that your problem is in the public gaze.... I wonder if they are aware of that?

"No one technical" are they having a laugh... Audi have one of the best technical support departments in the UK....

Just for reassurance contact another dealership and explain you have one broken coil, shall you replace one or two?

If they say two then ask on who's authority is this based.... Assuming they say Audi ask them to send you a quote stating that fact .

One you have the written evidence..... "Well i think you would know what to do" :lol:

I called another Audi centre and said my coil spring had snapped and could I get a quote for fixing it. She said that she could not give me a quote over the phone. So I ask whether I would need both doing or not. She replied "we change coils and shock absobers in pairs". I cannot get a written quote without them see the car though.