Raised MX5 geometry

andyelcomb

Booked in to WIM next Saturday to have my Mk1 rally/trials MX5 alignment checked over.

It was set to fast road a good few years ago, but since then it's been raised and is on Mk2 legs so will be intrigued to see what the current readings are and if they can be set to a fairly neutral setting. I'll bet WIM hasn't had to do much that way round as most are lowered. Maximum traction is the aim here, and good low speed turn-in.

Will also be bringing my very cheap and cheerful Mk2 1.8 that will have done a tarmac autotest that morning as I've no idea where the wheels might be pointing on that one. Not sure what to set it at as it's mainly used for autosolos - maybe for a somewhat loose rear and pointy front end?

Got any suggestions for the lads next week Tony?

All reads like fun...... I would be looking for deep front/ rear camber with maybe another 39' negative on the front...Some toe-in on the rear to get heat into the drive wheels. Toe-out on the front for the turn-in combined with a lower than OEM castor again for a better turn-in. All of this is subject to us explaing what each change and the combination of changes will do to the handling.

Excellent service from WIM again, as expected. The MK1 certainly did need tweaking but surprisingly was able to be brought into line within the throw of the adjusters. Also dumped the excessive front toe in and its now a LOT more planted and stable on the road.

So its off to the March Hare Trial tomorrow, climbing slippery slopes and tracks and getting the car thoroughly filthy - again!

Most surprised to find that the rusty MK2 that obviously hadn't been adjusted for ages, if ever, was really straight and everything within normal tolerances.

However as there was a strong likelihood that the seized adjusters were going to snap we felt it best to leave well alone. As the car had just won its class at the Brakefast Autotest at Bovingdon Airfield just four hours earlier, leaving well alone was not a problem.

I forgot you were going on Saturday, I was going to try and pop over.

What was this Brakefast in Bovingdon - could spectators attend and is it at the top of the airfield away from the market?

Tony - camber was equalised at about 30' and caster equalised and reduced a tad to 3°50.

Rich - yes, it was the Brakefast at Bovingdon but not really spectator friendly as you'd have to get past the driftworks people first. They caused us a bit of delay getting going, but ultimately no problem. We ran at the top of the runway near the driftworks people and the access road to the paintball place.

Here's some of the more benign parts of the Trial we did yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGPe3m3Rz-w  (can never remember how to link those YouTube videos)

See 6:42 and 15:39.

Didn't have the more aggressive tyres that others did, or the ground clearance, and that did hurt in places but it was still great fun and in glorious weather.

Managed to really badly mash the front left rim on the very last section which was up and very steep, rutted and rocky track. Was so bad that the wheel wouldn't rotate so had to change the wheel in mid section - not easy! It also heavily bent the left rear rim too but managed to hammer that straight so it held air.

Hope it hasn't undone all the hard work by JB on Saturday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbEYiIWKXqk

Not my event but a bit like some of the stuff we did elsewhere on the Trial on Sunday.

21:32 is a surprising car and probably as close to the MX5 as they had then. It was a section like this that did for my wheel...

Andy i have to confess this isn't the sort of hill climb i was expecting?...... I thought we was talking fast, short sweeping bends.... For terrain like that i would dial in completely different settings. Zero to positive camber, toe and castor are redundant and the suspension would be set to super soft.

Sorry Tony, probably should have made it clearer. The front camber is slightly positive and I was running the antiroll bars disconnected front and rear which is the only thing I can do to soften things up and increase articulation.

Now you see why I said maximum traction was the aim...

Doing another trial this Sunday but local to me this time. All good fun!

Looks like an absolute hoot i'm jealous to say the least.... And yes release the bars, positive camber, super soft and high rise dampers, 15psi in the tyres is a template, oh and watch out for those frame rails  :smile_anim: 

Tony - camber was equalised at about 30' and caster equalised and reduced a tad to 3°50.

Rich - yes, it was the Brakefast at Bovingdon but not really spectator friendly as you'd have to get past the driftworks people first. They caused us a bit of delay getting going, but ultimately no problem. We ran at the top of the runway near the driftworks people and the access road to the paintball place.

That's a shame, wouldn't mind seeing what goes on there. I've seen lots of cars drive to the top end of the airfield when going to the market and they've had a driving school for children on there before.