Tesla's Autopilot System Is Creepy And Wonderful......

Tony

I've actually been a bit surprised that this tech has been released - as autonomous driving is not legal yet.

This sort of system isn't new, I've driven a Lexus LS600h that could pretty much drive itself on dual carriageways but if you took your hands off the wheel the system switched off.

I know they're saying that they recommend keeping your hands on the wheel but that doesn't seem good enough - press like this is something they could do without right now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3281562/Tesla-autopilot-fail-videos-emerge-Terrifying-footage-shows-happens-autonomous-driving-goes-wrong.html

I'm no expert but this type of system uses sensors and alike but like all computers follows rules whereas in the real world there are no set rules. If the human brain lacks sufficient reaction to the vast number of possibilities i fail to see how a computer can be better.

Computers can be better because they don't make mistakes as such but they need to be programmed with all parameters and that takes a lot of testing. To release something so early in its development seems a bit premature, I hope they don't undo all the good work they've done so far by rushing this.

You can get this for Skodas! mine will stay in the lane and if you go for the radar controlled cruise it will do that also . Think this is a £2500 option for the Tesla , during the test drive the saleman told my wife to leave the footbrake and allow the car to stop automatically when we arrived at a roundabout behind a truck.

I dont like the lane assist on my Skoda so would use this anyhow personally

Lane deviation is just a radar watching the white line divider so hardly as technical as driver assist.... The only way i can see a computer truly driving for you is if it learns by it's mistakes but that's one learning curve i wouldn't like to be in....

Lane deviation is just a radar watching the white line divider so hardly as technical as driver assist.... The only way i can see a computer truly driving for you is if it learns by it's mistakes but that's one learning curve i wouldn't like to be in....

Its a camera for lane assist , a radar is used for the active cruise control

• 2 months later...