Summer / Winter / All-Season Tyres

MondeoGhiaX

hi,

in all the years ive bought tyres for my cars, i dont think ive ever been asked if i want summer, winter, all-season or whatever tyres, i just have what i'm given. now when i look at online suppliers (like mytyres), most of them specify summer/winter/all season etc. does anyone ever bother buying winter tyres in the uk, or are we just using summer tyres all year round? does anyone change to winter tyres in winter - i cant say i have ever done this, i just leave them on until they wear out. so should i only search for "summer" tyres when i'm buying?

thank you.

hi,

in all the years ive bought tyres for my cars, i dont think ive ever been asked if i want summer, winter, all-season or whatever tyres, i just have what i'm given. now when i look at online suppliers (like mytyres), most of them specify summer/winter/all season etc. does anyone ever bother buying winter tyres in the uk, or are we just using summer tyres all year round? does anyone change to winter tyres in winter - i cant say i have ever done this, i just leave them on until they wear out. so should i only search for "summer" tyres when i'm buying?

thank you.

cant say i have ever been asked

i know in germany it is a big thing and maybe even law to use winter tyres

i remember visiting TTE when england was under a blanket of snow and we had endured consistant snow in germany, when they realised i was using summer tyres they all had horrified looks on their faces :party:

Winter tyres are a thing of the past in the UK.... Michelin have just re-kindled interest with the new "cold weather tyre". I think this is doomed since the advent of ABS and traction control is more than sufficient to cope with our 2hrs of sludge every year.

hi,

thank you.

cant say i have ever been asked

i know in germany it is a big thing and maybe even law to use winter tyres

i remember visiting TTE when england was under a blanket of snow and we had endured consistant snow in germany, when they realised i was using summer tyres they all had horrified looks on their faces :)

Having lived in Norway and found the benefits of driving on winter tyres (compulsory) during the cold months, I'm seriously considering using a spare set of rims with winter tyres for the UK. The only downside is they wear a lot quicker, but if it prevents only one minor accident due to icy roads it'd be worth it. Before the latest developments in rubber compounds and tread design the Norwegians used to use studded tyres...some still do but they have to pay higher road tax to use them (as it wears out the roads, especially in tunnels :party: ).

...and Tony I know to my cost ABS is totally useless on ice with summer tyres as they don't have sufficient traction so the ABS releases the brakes and you may as well have left the brake pedal alone (not good when you're approaching the rear of a Peugot 205 stopped at a junction even at 15 mph.

250 miles in conditions like this, studded tyres sound a good option :)

gallery_4887_79_62491.jpg

Agreed but it's not in the UK is it?

that pic is, note the side of road we are on

it was on the A20 (i think?), on our way to Dover, we got diverted off the M20 because it was closed

3 1/2 hours to do 80 miles !!!!

couple more pics

gallery_4887_79_370411.jpg

gallery_4887_79_630021.jpg

gallery_4887_79_319770.jpg

:party:

250 miles in conditions like this, studded tyres sound a good option :party:

gallery_4887_79_62491.jpg

Agreed but it's not in the UK is it?

that pic is, note the side of road we are on

it was on the A20 i think?, on our way to Dover, we got diverted off the M20 because it was closed

3 1/2 hours to do 80 miles !!!!

Exceptional conditions don't you agree?.... My point is within the M25 radius most years the need for winter tyres is very limited.....

this article is worth reading if you are at all interested. its not just a question of ice and snow, but lower temperatures (7C threshold). the increase in accidents and insurance claims would appear to back this up.

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/winter.asp

It's a convincing argument... Like most things though it boils down to cost. With our ever warmer winters how committed are you to invest in "cold weather" tyres.... In an ideal world we all would but in reality most will just make do.

this article is worth reading if you are at all interested. its not just a question of ice and snow, but lower temperatures (7C threshold). the increase in accidents and insurance claims would appear to back this up.

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/winter.asp

It's a convincing argument... Like most things though it boils down to cost. With our ever warmer winters how committed are you to invest in "cold weather" tyres.... In an ideal world we all would but in reality most will just make do.

It only means you have a spare set of rims (usually steel) with winter tyres on. The bonus is you don't get salt all over your summer alloys and if you prevent one minor bump it will have saved you more than the cost of your spare boots. Doesn't stop those who haven't got winter tyres from bumping into you though :( and we'll end up crawling with the rest of the traffic at the first sign of a heavy frost.