Thoughts on my 350z geo :-)

RobPhoboS

Work in progress..... Is it possible to put a jack under the ball socket end? So compressing the joint rather than loading it, It you use a pry bar or splitter the load also goes onto the nut whereas if you compress the joint the nuts not under load. .

Work in progress..... Is it possible to put a jack under the ball socket end? So compressing the joint rather than loading it, It you use a pry bar or splitter the load also goes onto the nut whereas if you compress the joint the nuts not under load. .

I did exactly that for the passenger side, it popped off after a few taps on the impact wrench, the drivers side just wouldn't do it at all, I tried all sorts of ways.

I'm ready though for round 2.

A good chap on the forums has sent me 2 replacement nuts, so worst case I'll just split it as a last resort  :thumbsup_anim:

Interesting, long weekend working away...

So the rear nut that stopped play last week, ultimately popped off after a couple of short bursts with the jack under the thing - exactly what I initially did last week  :lol:

The rear is sorted.

Then I did the passenger side compression arm, no problem pressing out the old, and in with the new.

Then onto the driver side, no problem pressing out the old - but the new... er it just fell through the hole  :blink:

I thought er, ok I'll just pop the arms back on the car anyway, and see what happens:

Good.

IMAG1533_zpsall4pxez.jpg

Bad  :banghead:
IMAG1530_zps4ifmigme.jpg

So a new arm is on the way, hopefully by tuesday, and I can press the bushing in this time.
I measured the monoball bushing, it's around 60.4mm (roughly)
And the hole in the arm from a post on another forum is around 59.4mm.
I wonder if it got distorted or damaged previously when someone else pressed the polybushing into it ?

I don't think it's damaged, more a manufacturing issue and a bad one at that.

Yep, it's very odd.

I originally had the standard rubber bushing there, and about a year ago I had some Superpro poly bushings popped in, so it may have been damaged from that...however, I suspect it's a defect like you said as well.

Ah well, hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow and I can pop the new one in.

ebay, I've not had any issues like this before.

So, I ordered a driver ® side...

I swear I'm not making this up.....

IMAG1545_zpsie1zi84y.jpg

:censored:

I'm glad looked just before leaving, so I didn't just have a wasted journey from London to Surrey.

99% sorted  :D 
I've just got to crawl under it and torque up one nut as it was clunky last night with weight transfer (was driving carefully back into town at 2am).
I should have brought the old arm with me but it looked like it was slightly elongated in the hole, either way it's for the bin  :smile_anim:

Those cheap chinese arms often have that issue , we have some in stock we ordered to try but they are so poor we cant fit them to a customers car in good faith , you get what you pay for

Sometimes this is certainly true, and sometimes it's not. 

Bare with me here.

I've seen some big changes in their manufacturing (copying) in just the last two years where before it certainly was junk, and now it's as good as X.

However I guess from your point of view if you have customers, you can ALWAYS rely on original or company X to deliver a quality component rather than taking a calculated risk (I understand that).  :)

Sell cheap or fake opens a world of warranty work and diminished trust.

Thats the thing you dont know the grade of alloy they used or the technique used to manufacture it , some chinese parts are fine but there isnt one factory churning them out there are dozens , some good and some bad , you have no idea what you are getting.

• Like 1

I made a proper tit of myself - I flipping forgot to install the little black cone thing in the middle by the old arm which was causing the nut to spin...

:rolleyes:  :unsure:  :banghead:

IMAG1552_zps6fjvj96c.jpg

Joe was really helpful and understood (that I'm a plum), sorted out a quick temp fix until I got back home to sort it, thankfully no torn rubber boot on the new arm.

Take 3.

• Like 1