Lexus IS220D on UK Eibach springs

Pagnobito

Hi,

I fitted my new springs over the weekend, and put the new wheels on at the same time. I used the 30mm drop UK spec springs, and the wheels are ASA two piece W21 8x18 and 9x18 with Falken FR452 tyres.

The ride is certainly stiffer, and I think the car has some more settling to do, as I had only driven it about 3 miles before taking the after shots. I did notice that the ground was nearer when I got out after the drive, an odd feeling how we can notice even a small difference by the extension of a limb!

I think the new tyres make more road noise, but this may settle when they wear in a bit, and I also had some vibration this morning at motorway speed, but that seemed to get better after a few miles; it did worry me for a while (having thoughts that I had forgotten to tighten something!)

Before;

yn0j42.jpg

yn0j48.jpg

After;

yn0j47.jpg

yn0j45.jpg

yn0j43.jpg

I will take some more pictures when I have cleaned the car, and have some more time in week. Also when the light is better (as I just noticed looking at these) Give it a few miles and will get the geometry checked too.

I think the wheels look really nice and will have to be kept clean all the time!

Nice looking wheels. There will be further settling of the springs but not too much, certainly not as much as the US spec Eibach. My experience of ride quality is plus and minus. Better cornering response and reasonably comfortable on tamac but much more bumpy on uneven surface. Tyre noise is also much increased. I think this is normal with stiffer springs. I am thinking of changing the dampers latter on but this time will need some research to locate the right type. May be eventually a new set of coilover.

I have done the geometry calibration after 1000 km but I don't think the workshop has done a good job because I noticed that they used the data from the IS 200 (which I saw from the computer screen) for reference. They said my car's toe angle was slightly off and has been adjusted. Honestly I don't quite feel any improvement after adjustment, and even feeling a bit nervous for turning left. I will probably go to Lexus and ask if they can do the calibration. I certainly trust that they have the official IS250 data but whether they will perform the calibration on cars fitted with after market components is another matter.

Any advice from Tony?

TK Chan

Thanks for the comments, I am very happy with the wheels, they look so much better than the originals. I am now very wary of kerbs, even more so than before as those rims look like they will mark very easily, and will look terrible with the slightest of bumps.

Now a warning, I accidentally damaged the gator on the upper ball joint on the front suspension. The gator isn't serviceable so I am going to have to buy a new wishbone assembly.... ouch ouch at £250

SO if you do it yourself be very careful!

Thanks for the comments, I am very happy with the wheels, they look so much better than the originals. I am now very wary of kerbs, even more so than before as those rims look like they will mark very easily, and will look terrible with the slightest of bumps.

Now a warning, I accidentally damaged the gator on the upper ball joint on the front suspension. The gator isn't serviceable so I am going to have to buy a new wishbone assembly.... ouch ouch at £250

Looks stunning.... Absolutely stunning! Makes you wonder why Lexus have a ridiculous trim height in the first place?..... Shame about the split swivel joint boot.... Did you use the "how-to" pictorial here in wim?

Nice looking wheels. There will be further settling of the springs but not too much, certainly not as much as the US spec Eibach. My experience of ride quality is plus and minus. Better cornering response and reasonably comfortable on tamac but much more bumpy on uneven surface. Tyre noise is also much increased. I think this is normal with stiffer springs. I am thinking of changing the dampers latter on but this time will need some research to locate the right type. May be eventually a new set of coilover.

I have done the geometry calibration after 1000 km but I don't think the workshop has done a good job because I noticed that they used the data from the IS 200 (which I saw from the computer screen) for reference. They said my car's toe angle was slightly off and has been adjusted. Honestly I don't quite feel any improvement after adjustment, and even feeling a bit nervous for turning left. I will probably go to Lexus and ask if they can do the calibration. I certainly trust that they have the official IS250 data but whether they will perform the calibration on cars fitted with after market components is another matter.

Any advice from Tony?

TK Chan

Remember the cars no longer have front or rear camber adjusters fitted. So the alteration in the camber position is a done deal so to speak.

With Tango's car i was able to catalogue various front/rear toe positions. With this data we established a suitable calibration... So far all is well.

This data i could make available to you for free providing as it stays out of the public gaze. I hope you understand that since the UK IS250 is showing distress from the stock settings then i am no longer prepared to calculate a new calibration and release this for free like wim did for the IS200/300/sc....

Looks stunning.... Absolutely stunning! Makes you wonder why Lexus have a ridiculous trim height in the first place?..... Shame about the split swivel joint boot.... Did you use the "how-to" pictorial here in wim?

Yes, I did see the tutorial, just an accident pinched the boot, only noticed once I was putting it back together and saw the seeping of the fluid. I know some mistakes can be expensive, this one is very painful too, painful on the wallet.

I suppose the OEM height is set as such for comfort, I have noticed that as well as feeling the bumps more through the stiffer setup, you can hear them more too, but that could also be down to the slightly lower profile do you think? I have driven a sport for a while and it sort of reminds me of those characteristics.

It was, but even more so now a car that when you walk away from it, you have to look back and take one more glance.

Yes, I did see the tutorial, just an accident pinched the boot, only noticed once I was putting it back together and saw the seeping of the fluid. I know some mistakes can be expensive, this one is very painful too, painful on the wallet.

I suppose the OEM height is set as such for comfort, I have noticed that as well as feeling the bumps more through the stiffer setup, you can hear them more too, but that could also be down to the slightly lower profile do you think? I have driven a sport for a while and it sort of reminds me of those characteristics.

It was, but even more so now a car that when you walk away from it, you have to look back and take one more glance.

Main thing is you fitted them successfully so top marks on that :worried_anim: As for the second glance then bloody right! She looks stunning, this is what you wanted and you got it....

Remember the cars no longer have front or rear camber adjusters fitted. So the alteration in the camber position is a done deal so to speak.

With Tango's car i was able to catalogue various front/rear toe positions. With this data we established a suitable calibration... So far all is well.

This data i could make available to you for free providing as it stays out of the public gaze. I hope you understand that since the UK IS250 is showing distress from the stock settings then i am no longer prepared to calculate a new calibration and release this for free like wim did for the IS200/300/sc....

Tony, could you please send me the data via personal message and thanks in advance. I understand that these data are strictly for my personal use.

TK

Tony, could you please send me the data via personal message and thanks in advance. I understand that these data are strictly for my personal use.

TK

I will do over the weekend (so busy at the mo) Please don't mention the positions in other clubs or my hard work will be stolen immediately.... :worried_anim:

TK

I will do over the weekend (so busy at the mo) Please don't mention the positions in other clubs or my hard work will be stolen immediately.... :worried_anim:

Thanks and surely I will keep the data to myself.

TK

I will do over the weekend (so busy at the mo) Please don't mention the positions in other clubs or my hard work will be stolen immediately.... :thumbsup_anim:

You have a pm!..... I only hope Tango is not offended by this analysis and summary out of sight, since his car was the virgin test car......

You have a pm!..... I only hope Tango is not offended by this analysis and summary out of sight, since his car was the virgin test car

No offence taken. I'm happy to share all the info, including the OEM settings which were provided from a very nice guy in the Lexus GB group that has been getting a lot of unfair criticism lately on the LOC forums :lol: . He wasn't obliged to provide the details, but went out of his way to obtain them..... :lol:

It will be interesting to see the readings on my car from the new TDI equipment.

You have a pm!..... I only hope Tango is not offended by this analysis and summary out of sight, since his car was the virgin test car......

No offence taken. I'm happy to share all the info, including the OEM settings which were provided from a very nice guy in the Lexus GB group that has been getting a lot of unfair criticism lately on the LOC forums :lol: . He wasn't obliged to provide the details, but went out of his way to obtain them..... :lol:

It will be interesting to see the readings on my car from the new TDI equipment.

I did wonder if you would be ok with me releasing the data.... It belongs to you at the end of the day! As for the new tdi machine have a read here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...id=443933 i will be there for sure :lol:

I did wonder if you would be ok with me releasing the data.... It belongs to you at the end of the day! As for the new tdi machine have a read here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...id=443933 i will be there for sure :lol:

I've replied to Mark on the LOC post, but as I said he may have had my car before then....

Why?...... Oh tell :lol:

• 5 months later...

To update you on my suspension...

I dont think the car has settled anymore and I have now done maybe 10K since the drop and wheels. It still looks great, except having managed to scrape the outer polished rim on the rear offside, Doh! I hope I can get it polished out sometime.

As for the ride, I still think it is worse than the original setup, it does not seem to cope so well with sudden bumps, but does settle quicker over undulations in the surface. It does suffer where the road surface is rough and I feel the difference, but thankfully the Lexus build quality means that I don't get any rattles. I guess that is the price of having the stiffer setup, and it isn't something that I can't live with coming from the Leon Cupra R which was very stiff on 18" rims.

The absolute best surface is that porous tarmac they put down, it is so smooth, normally on the motorway all you can hear is the road noise, so when this goes it all gets earily quiet.

Overall I am glad I did the modification, the compromise in ride was worth it.

I forgot to mention the tyre wear seems to be normal so I don't think the small drop made much or any difference to the set up.

I don't think I will carry out any more modifications on the Lexus, I will be doing some more work on the 928, and actually I think lowering is the only thing that the Lexus needed anyway. I got some original Cup1 17" rims for the Porker so now I need to refurbish the calipers as they are on view, and get the new teardrop mirrors painted up and fitted, and while I have the doors apart I will upgrade the ICE.

Before all that I shall replace the sump gasket and engine mounts!

I forgot to mention the tyre wear seems to be normal so I don't think the small drop made much or any difference to the set up.

I don't think I will carry out any more modifications on the Lexus, I will be doing some more work on the 928, and actually I think lowering is the only thing that the Lexus needed anyway. I got some original Cup1 17" rims for the Porker so now I need to refurbish the calipers as they are on view, and get the new teardrop mirrors painted up and fitted, and while I have the doors apart I will upgrade the ICE.

Before all that I shall replace the sump gasket and engine mounts!

The 928 reads like something of a project........ Are you prepping the car for track days?

I have already done a couple of track days this year, and the car is fine, but you have to remember it is 18 years old and even ordinary cars let alone supercars need fettling to keep them in order. The sump gasket started leaking after the second track day, probably from heat, so I am changing the cork gasket for a silicon one, and I might put a GTS sump baffle in there at the same time. The original hydrolic mounts sag over time, so I just want to replace them and restore the smoothness, not that it is rough of course, but a big V8 can put some stress on other parts of the car if not dampened properly. The other bits are just cosmetic really, so I wouldn't really call it a project as in one that requires a huge amount of restoration! It is great fun as it is now, call it more of a hobby with a loved classic, but not one that I want to keep original, well updated with later model parts so true to Porsche.

I have already updated other parts of the car through learning about the common points of failure, or cause loss of power.

I think it is a great looking car, even amongst the modern cars today, and is one I plan to keep for some time.