Cyclamen

Sagitar

That's a lovely photo and I love that you've taken it against a black background to bring the colour out more.flat

Is it a winter plant to have been outside until now?

The background is a switched off TV. Camera on a tripod, small aperture for depth of field, manual focus, remote release, flat, indirect light from daylight through a closed blind.

There are lots of varieties of cyclamen; some are hardy down to low temperatures, others are tender. The hardy ones that we have will go on flowering indoors providing you give them time to acclimatise. We give them a few days on a cool window sill on the north side of the house before taking them into warmer rooms. They are liable to drop petals if warmed up too quickly. Once they are finished flowering indoors, we let them dry out and then re-plant them in a sheltered part of the garden.

That's a lovely photo and I love that you've taken it against a black background to bring the colour out more.flat

Is it a winter plant to have been outside until now?

The background is a switched off TV. Camera on a tripod, small aperture for depth of field, manual focus, remote release, flat, indirect light from daylight through a closed blind.

There are lots of varieties of cyclamen; some are hardy down to low temperatures, others are tender. The hardy ones that we have will go on flowering indoors providing you give them time to acclimatise. We give them a few days on a cool window sill on the north side of the house before taking them into warmer rooms. They are liable to drop petals if warmed up too quickly. Once they are finished flowering indoors, we let them dry out and then re-plant them in a sheltered part of the garden.

Interesting set up :)

I don't think I'd have the patience for that kind of gardening, I think I'd prefer to plant and just water them.

I don't think I'd have the patience for that kind of gardening, I think I'd prefer to plant and just water them.

There is no difficulty in buying cyclamen as pot-plants from your local garden centre or even from some supermarkets at this time of the year. The varieties that they sell are the more showy ones and they look great and last very well indoors.

They do tend to be the more tender plants however so they are not generally suitable for planting outdoors once they have finished flowering.

A garden centre certainly should have them, but supermarkets that do indoor plants could stock them. I saw them in our local Waitrose this week and I bought a white one as a gift recently from a garden centre near us - I think it cost £2.50 - quite a big plant with lots of blooms and plenty of buds.

I do like the look of them..... Dumb question but do they need feeding, well other than water?

Not particularly, they grow from a corm so, like bulbs etc, they have enough internally to look after themselves through the flowering period.