Rounded hex and Allen bolts

Steve-O

Check this out. Was changing the plugs on the S3 this morning and sods law the very last bolt that holds a bracket that obscures the last 2 plugs was chewed up. Not happy. 

Cue 3 hours cursing and having to buy some expensive metal bits and easy outs. The little s**t finally budged:

ZOE_0014.jpg

I was quite pleased i got it out. Replaced them with hex though.

Question is : who knows of any genius bolt removal tools for rounded bolts that is less hassle than easy outs? Or any tricks even?

Cheers

Steve

In this situation there was no room around the bolt as it was sat in a recess in the head. I tried tapping on a socket but the metal was too hard and I thought about the screwdriver but I just couldn't get enough leverage. It was properly welded tight. When I got it, it snapped loose.

A torx socket tapped in might have worked but given the socket didn't make much of an impact I had to admit defeat and do it the hard way to ensure I finished the job.

There must be some kind of hardened socket set out there with threads that you can tap on and then use a socket to bite into the metal and release it? Just small versions on locking wheel nut removal sockets perhaps?