Here's a wheel in motion for you...

andyelcomb

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201244091282148

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201243824635482

My latest cheap MX-5 from Ebay performed quite well at the Maidstone MC Autosolo on Sunday.

(Please remind me how to embed video again chaps...)

That was a nice bit of driving given the conditions. You used great timing with the handbrake, where did you come in the event?

As for embedding, normally you just cut/ past the address bar from the vid like YT then past in your post but this won't work for FB

Thanks Tony, but it wasn't one of my better runs as whenever the camera is turned on I invariably c**k it up!

Not sure where I came overall in the event but I know that a BMW 318 Compact was first, followed by a very nicely prepared Pug 106.

I did beat all the other MX-5s and other similar sports cars, so happy wherever it turned out.

The matter of using the handbrake is a tricky one as it was generally very slippery with some loose gravel, as well as the deep puddles and the MX did rather like to wag its tail. Unfortunately "drift-mode" just isn't the quickest way round, but it is so much fun that it is extremely hard to resist.

Turns out I was 3rd overall so very happy with that.

The MX-5 cost me £460 with a just-expired MoT that required some home done welding of the outer floor, a couple of resistors on the ECU side of the front ABS sensors to put out the ABS light and that was about it to put it on the road.

Both rear 14" mismatched tyres were advisories as low tread and minor age cracking so they stayed on the back, while I put a couple of 15"s with Toyo T1-Rs on the front to help make it a bit more pointy.

Thanks.

Certainly I thought it cheap, although it wasn't advertised on Ebay as needing that amount of rust repair. But I was prepared to take a punt and if it was dire rust-wise I was considering putting the running gear into my MK1.

I just happened to be trawling the 5s (as you do) and came across that one that few were bidding on. I think one of the reasons it got passed over was that the seller had properly listed it as MX-5 and it didn't come up if you searched for MX5.

There was about 30 mins to go when I found it so put in a last gasp bid that I thought reasonable and got it for nearly £100 less. Result!

It's always a result when you win something for less than you're willing to pay for it. It's good that you're handy with a welder as I'd imagine a garage would charge hundreds for that kind of job?

It was certainly an impulse buy if you only saw it 30 minutes beforehand :lol: