Professional Detailing

JamesV70R

Can't think of which section this would be best in .. so the lounge it is!

I'm looking at having the Volvo professionally detailed in late October/ early November before the NEC show in mid November ... Is anyone able to recomend a detailer?

I was considering a Gold level detail from RefinedDetails in Aylesbury, Seems to be a reasonably priced service and has good results from what I can see. I've looked at a few others but the prices seem to skyrocket and hit almost £700 for the same thing ...

While I'm at it after recomendations ... Looking for a wheel refurb too. They're starting to corrode a bit. Any recomendations?

James

We have a detailing section, I will move it there :)

Have you used a DA/Rotary yourself, it will be alot cheaper? But then you do get the guarantee with using a pro.

Maybe send Christian on here a PM for a quote, he sponsors the detailing section.

Refined Details do some awesome work so you shouldn't really have a problem with them.

As for wheel refurbs try BJV in Flauden - http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/

I've not got a DA or such ... and I don't think I could bring myself to do it, not without having something to practice on for a few weeks before. I don't want to end up putting huge amounts of swirl marks in ... and then still have to pay a pro to fix it.

Cheers for moving the thread ... I need to open my eyes more!

There's nothing to it, I started with a DA but I should've just gone straight to rotary after switching to one. As long as you're not silly with it you can't really do any damage. I have an old wing you can borrow if you wanted to practise on something but my first go was on the car! :)

if your in the south, if you travel to me I can show you what to do / how to do things. wont charge you anything either as im not a pro but have done it on many other cars.

it wont be a pro detail and my products arnt the dog danglies but thats why it would be free

Thanks for that offer Adam, one thing I was considering for the new year was learning how to rotary/da polish. Might have to dive in and take you up on your offer!

What sort of things would you recomend to buy if I were to step up and try it myself? I've had a browse on detailing world but got a little lost with what would be best for a total newbie .. so many types of pads / compounds, all different for different paint types etc.

If you choose to go with a DA then the DAS 6 Pro would be my choice. If I was starting again then I would go with a rotary, they're nothing to be scared of like some people make out. I have the Silverline one but it's abit of a beast, you might prefer the EP801 and I've been thinking about it myself now I have a driveway to work on.

I would stay away from specific kits cos you might not like the pads or polish that comes with it, then you've wasted that money. I would buy some small sample bottles and find what you like to work with first. Pad wise I would go with CG Hexlogic or 3M, I use the latter and also some from Gtechniq. I also use their polish and I really love this stuff. I started out with Poorboys, which is very good, then tried Menzerna, which I hated but Gtechniq P1 is an awesome polish and being water based it's easy to clear up afterwards.

The backing plate is also important, what usually comes with these machines is crap, get one from 3M or similar, it can make alot of difference.

You are more than welcome to have a look at my rotary and see what you think of it. I have sold alot of my detailing gear (polishes) but still have some stuff you can borrow if you want to try anything out. You will be looking at £200+ to buy the minimum you need though.

James.

I have a silverline rotary buffer with softstart and variablespeed.

I also have a few different sized backing pads with a range of pads for didifferent jobs.

for polishing compounds I use a whole range, but non of my products break the bank which suits me and I get good results.

dont go with a RO polisher as they dont work aswell and can be tricky to use....

the standard polisher that I have is more difficult to use if you dont know what your doing. it can also be grabby if your not using it properly... and you can damage your paint more easily... but you would have to be stupid to burn your paint.

if you do want sone training let me know and we can sort out a date :-). I used to do it as a hobby.. and almost went in to it full time but didnt think I could compete in the over saturated market.

You have the same one as me then Adam, good machines for not alot of money when compared to 3M, Rupes, Flex, Makita etc.

I wouldn't say a DA is tricky to use, yes it takes alot longer using one but they're not difficult to use. The worse thing about them is the vibration cos of it's random movements so you will get back ache afterwards. You don't get that with a rotary as there are no vibrations on these machines. The trick to using them is don't try and control it otherwise it will be grabby, just guide the machine to where you want it and it will be much easier to use.

The good thing about using P1 polish is it's not abrasive so the cut is achieved by the pad only. I used wool, polishing and finishing pads. Other polishes are abrasive so you normally start with the lowest cut, refining polish and work your way up to a heavy cutting polish if needed. The idea behind that is you remove the least amount of paint/clear coat as possible.

Some of my details are linked below. I can't believe it was 6 years ago I got into this, time flies! :o

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3333 (1st go with the DA!)

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=3375 (Really miss my Mondeo now! :( )

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=9802 (My favourite detail! :D )

Rich.. I guess thats what I meant.. they are tricky to use because of the RO aspect of the. and then tend to be more difficult to guide as well as keep pressure and constant smooth movement... along with the vibration.. yuk.

I laugh at people who say they are worried about burning paint... I used my polisher on a scrap panel and used it on setting 4 which IIRC is about 2500rpm... I used G6 compound and the pad started to shed before the paint was burnt. infact it took almost 6 minutes of leaving the pad in the same place at the same speed for the paint to burn....

i think one mistake a lot of people make is letting the panels get warm / hot when polishing... biggest NO NO ever and really makes things hard.

Cheers guys, given me a lot to think about!

Think I can probably get some practice in on the old mans Vectra before I go anywhere near the R, the paint on that is terrible so It'll show me what works and what doesn't! Its only 4 years old but its as dull as .. um ... something dull.

My biggest fear is putting loads of swirls/trails in - I've seen a Black VW thats been machine polished in some shape or form, was parked down the road from me, only about 6 months old but it had terrible trails all over it. Would that be from too much pressure?

Its good to know its difficult to burn through paint! If the panel gets warm I guess that just stops the polish from spreading so well?

Rich - next time the car is clean can I get you to cast your eye over her, just to see if investing in a machine is worth it or whether I'd be better off continuing by hand?

Have a look at this video and see how long it needs to be in the same spot and how much pressure/speed is applied to damage the paint. You need to be a complete idiot to burn through, with a little bit of care rotary's are fine. You need to be careful on edges where the paint is probably thinner like the top of wings.

http://youtu.be/1Y8vHRwiTgY

Buffer trails/holograming is from not breaking the polish down properly, you need to work it until it goes clear and then buff off the excess. It's also a good idea to do a wipe down with IPA/panel wipe, which will remove any oils in the polish (if it has any) and gives you a better idea of how good the correction was. If you use a heavy compound then chances are this will leave it's own holograming so needs refining with a finishing polish to remove them.

I would never polish by hand apart from doing spot repairs, it is too much hard work. By hand I would use a filler heavy glaze to hide swirls, like Poorboys Blackhole.

I don't mind having a look at the paint but the best thing to do is shine a halogen light on it and that will show how bad any swirling is or go to a petrol station at night and look under their lights.

Have a look at the pinned guides on DW, they're brilliantly written to help begineers :)

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=8b4de2f73bae9a2231e03763045b2ccd&f=17

:lol:

Exactly!! Its even worse when you're the guy who monitors the web filter ... Accidentally resetting your own stats now and then ... :D

Handy that! :D

They're pretty relaxed where I work although did issue a notice saying we can use the internet before and after work, plus during our lunch. I just have a private window open all day with about 5 tabs on the go!

Ordered a new clay bar, going to give the car a thorough going over this weekend and see how it looks with no protection at all ... and make my mind up from there what sort of "aggression" I'll need to look for with pads and polishes.

Finally got some 303 too, so I can make a start on getting the engine bay prettied up again!

Good clay that, I have it (and the medium) only need water as well.

Mine is dirty as well, might wash it tomorrow if I find time. I'm hoping to polish it before the winter but knowing me I won't get around to it!  :rolleyes:

Might be putting a halt to getting a DA until the new year ... just made an offer on a flat ....

Swapped the 303 in the order for some Eraser, but both that and the clay only turned up this morning ... Managed to give the car a wash at last, so she's clean again ... I'm ashamed of myself for the state of the wheels!

Looking the car over, the only thing that really needs any attention is the bonnet, reflections seem to be a bit hazy ... but that might be bad application of wax or something.

Nice one on the flat, is that local still?

You wanna see our cars then, I've not had the chance to wash them yet! I don't know where the missus has been parking but hers is covered in dirty sand/dust but we've had no rain.

I've got abit of 303 left you can borrow if you want to try it out, I've not used it in a while.

It'll be hard work but maybe try polishing the bonnet by hand then.

Aye, I'll give it a wipe down and a clay and see how it looks, and break out the last of my Autofinesse Tripple. For the short term I'm happy to fill rather than remove.

Aye, the flat is still local, less than a mile as the crow flies from home. Don't feel I'm going to get an offer like this one again for a long time so taking it while I can. Down Springwell Lane, so backs on to the canal, one parking spot (for 2 cars ... ), and I can walk or cycle to work along the towpath - Its always a worry fighting with Uxbridge Road traffic on a bike. I used to ride in regularly and almost got taken out a few times.

I'll hold off on the 303 for now, going to find an old toothbrush and go at things with Gunk first. I'm taking the BSR Optiflow (Cone filter and heatshield) out and putting the stock airbox (with K&N) back in, but while its out of the car I'm going to give it a good clean up, and will do around/under it while I swap them around.

Too many jobs, too little time ... and I don't think I'm going to have any kind of car washing facilities where I'm going ... so the parents will be seeing me often just so I can use the Karcher lol!

How do you find Tripple, I've not used mine yet?

I didn't know there were flats down there, probably not taken much notice. That will be a nice view though next to the canal, it's a nice walk along there and certainly beats the Uxbridge Road!

Have you used ONR before? For quick washes it is very handy and what I used when living in the flat, not really touched it since I moved though as been trying different shampoos. If you're still local to your parents though I would definitely make the most of it - take your washing as well ;)