DPF and limp mode

Just had a cambelt change, minor service and brake fluid done by Skoda.

Drove the 2 miles home and up popped the DPF light.

Took it out a short time later to give it a good run and got a 1/4 mile before I got a flashing glowplug light which I guess is limp mode.

Too late to contact the dealer today. I'm not familiar with cambelt process, Is this likely just coincidence or could it be something missed during reassemble?

If it is unrelated, what are my options? I know a new dpf is quite expensive. I'm not averse to having it removed but not sure how this will affect it's next MOT.

Really don't want any more big bills as I've spent over £1000 in the last few weeks.

Thanks

p.s It had a remap by Shark back in Jan who have a reputation akin to WIM. First time I've had this issue since then. Gets 99% motorway mileage and I'm not afraid to rev it, so not the usual dpf story.

Sadly a big fault and unrelated to the work Skoda did yesterday.

Skoda are telling me the EGR cooler required replacement (£726) this will include a DPF regen but may not clear the DPF fault if the regen does not work. If it did need a new DPF I'd rather spend the money on removal.

I got in contact with Johnny at JJB who are affiliated with shark. They can do the cooler work for £550, again this may not rectify the possible DPF issue.

JJB could at additional cost do a DPF removal. This would prevent future DPF issues but again a substantial cost (albeit discounted).

And the DPF has had it too. emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif  Opting for removal.

Been a very expensive month

insurance 265

Mot fail 65

2nd Mot 230

windscreen 190

Cambelt, brakes & oil 500

EGR cooler 550

DPF 500

I don't even want to add it up! I hope the work it having done sorts it as thats a lot on money to spend on a 6yr old 80k car. 

Something the dealers omit to tell people buying dpf equipped cars is the fact that they need replacement about 80 - 100k miles. It doesn't sell cars very well so they "forget" to mention it. If you take it to a back street garage somewhere they'll generally remove the dpf, and stick the air hose & pressure washer through it to clear the ash out, then refit it. Much cheaper than buying a new one and the dealers sending the old one away to be recycled.

My understanding was that if driven in the 'recommended' manner, the soot would burn out and clear.

What I didn't realise was each time this happens, some residue is left in the filter eventually causing total failure.

luckily I've got a bit of savings and I had loosely been considering improving the tune somewhat. This removal and reflash should hopefully solve current problem and get a future one out the way whilst i'm at it. 

I do about 20K a year and when I change I think I'll be going back to petrol due to the simplicity of the engines and general driving experience.

Wow expensive month for you! :(

That is what has put me off getting a modern diesel, I have read so many threads with problems regarding the DPF. If it can be removed so easily and it causes alot of issues why did they design this in the first place.

Not just DPF, EGR too.

Both systems to keep it 'Green'

Ridiculous system using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Would be better off just making folk service their cars regularly. It's a bugbear of mine seeing cars and usually vans with black smoke billowing out the back.

When I had my Mondeo TD I just blocked the EGR on that and the car ran better and emissions were the same. On the in-laws Astra diesel we had to clean all of the EGR out cos it was full of baked on crud and we still need to replace the sensor as that couldn't be cleaned. The only way to remove it on his is probably the same as yours, blank it off and update the ECU.