Caster or castor?

andyelcomb

Context is all. I guess the question was meant in the context of car geometry and in that context castor and caster are each acceptable according to my trusty Chambers dictionary. Personally I prefer castor in this use, but it's just a habit, in order to differentiate between the little swivelling wheel and the stuff in the caster sugar packet. Interestingly, though retailers always seem to spell it as caster sugar, Chambers says that castor would be correct there also and for the perforated container used for sprinkling the sugar.

The only other uses that I know - Castor and Pollux; castor oil and the uses connected with the Beaver - are all spelled "castor".

Thanks Sagitar, that's pretty much what I discovered.

Must be one of the very few alternative spellings that is actually ok to use either, but did wonder if our sage had a more specific answer.

And yes, the question location does confirm the context.

Context is all. I guess the question was meant in the context of car geometry and in that context castor and caster are each acceptable according to my trusty Chambers dictionary. Personally I prefer castor in this use, but it's just a habit, in order to differentiate between the little swivelling wheel and the stuff in the caster sugar packet. Interestingly, though retailers always seem to spell it as caster sugar, Chambers says that castor would be correct there also and for the perforated container used for sprinkling the sugar.

The only other uses that I know - Castor and Pollux; castor oil and the uses connected with the Beaver - are all spelled "castor".

Once again, my understanding is that castor was originally the correct spelling in all cases (including the sugar), caster is an american (?) spelling that has been adopted over time. Both are acceptable in any case.

For some reason I also personally think of caster as the spelling in most cases, and only use castor with reference to castor oil.