Plastic guns?.....

Don't know why the media think it's a big deal as .22 calibre 'zip' guns have been around for a long time, made from a basic piece of pipe, a spring and firing pin. It wouldn't take much imagination to construct similar out of non-metallic materials either, so the 3D printer isn't at all necessary.

This just makes it far more easily accessible, which is never a good thing.

Hardly. The 3D printer in the vid was bought second hand for $8K, whereas I could make something in plastic just as effective at firing a .22 cartridge from bits and pieces in my workshop. Just scaremongering by the US media.

This just makes it far more easily accessible, which is never a good thing.

Hardly. The 3D printer in the vid was bought second hand for $8K, whereas I could make something in plastic just as effective at firing a .22 cartridge from bits and pieces in my workshop. Just scaremongering by the US media.

I do agree with that, but these printers will tumble in price as they become more common. And while it might be possible to create a makeshift gun easily, that takes resourcefulness which not many have, plus it isn't as refined a device as this is. Downloading a design off the net and sending it your printer as you would your holiday snaps is a little scary - it might not be the threat it is being made out to be but it is a genuine cause for concern.

one thing they didnt mention was the fatigue on the gun, a 22 is a small rount and made what looks to be quite a mark on the end of the barrel. The likelyhood of repeated firing from this gun is very slim, also the accuracy is going to be awful! A 22 from a pipe would be far more accurate than this gun as the printing process would leave a ribbed structure for the barrel, there wouldnt be a way of rifling it as its not a smooth surface and anyone pulling such a large pistol out of their pocket would most likely be dealt with before they could hurt anyone with the weapon.

I would suggest that the maker of this design wanted to make it for "cool" points, to be the first to produce a printed gun. In reality they didnt show how accurate or resilient the weapon was so i would say a bit of scare mongering by the media again.

We have air rifles and compound bows which are legal that are far more dangerous than this device.

I think people are disturbed that it actually looks like a gun, but as you say, the reality is that it's a one shot and throwaway device. The type of plastic used in the printers has a fairly low melting point and is low strength so it would probably be more of a risk to the firer.

Just found this which appears to prove the point: http://hereisthecity.com/2013/05/09/3d-printed-guns-expert-warns-of-threat-to-user/