August 23rd - Morning walk

Sagitar

I had an early appointment at the surgery yesterday and since the weather was bright and I had my Fuji X-Pro1 with me, I decided to go home by an indirect route across the fields to Maulden and to circle back into Ampthill. I took pictures on the way and here are some of them.

20120823MauldenWalk1.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk2.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk4.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk5.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk7.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk8.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk13.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk14.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk15.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk16.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk18.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk19.jpg

20120823MauldenWalk20.jpg

I think it might be a Gatekeeper. There's a lot of them in the hedgerows at present.

I thought you might have preferred that mighty red motor. A Morris maybe? It was in a garage so I couldn't get round to have a proper look at it.

I think it might be a Gatekeeper. There's a lot of them in the hedgerows at present.

I thought you might have preferred that mighty red motor. A Morris maybe? It was in a garage so I couldn't get round to have a proper look at it.

I have to say that is one clean car given the age.

I have to say that is one clean car given the age.

I would guess that it dates from the mid to late 1930s. I knew several people with cars like that when I was a kid and lots of them were still in use when private motoring got going again after WWII. I had friends who were still driving them in the mid 50s and I well remember helping one of them to do the round of breakers yards looking for suitable rear lights when the regulations changed to require vehicles to have two rear lights.

There was of course a quite enormous change in car construction when new vehicles appeared after WWII. We all take monocoque structures for granted now, but they were rare in the pre-war years.