Freak NASCAR Accident

Vipercar93

Nasty........ Why don't they use entrance walls that deflect the car rather than cut it in half :huh:

This is NASCAR... need I say more =P

TBH I donno why, guess they were thinking it's in the pits with an outer retaining wall, this is a secondary wall that he hit.

Agreed, why do they have an open concrete wall like that? Although they still don't pay enough attention to safety in the US.

It's a secondary wall, though I agree there should have been something there. I think you will see all edges like that protected. He was VERY lucky.

I will disagree there, these guys are crashing at 200+ MPH and walking away. All NASCAR tracks must use the 'Safer' barrier system which absorb the energy. I have seen plenty of viscous crashes on European circuits. Difference is average speeds in NASCAR is very high so when there is a crash it's bound to be a big one and these cars weigh 3400lbs, it takes a lot for them to slow down.

I like NASCAR, but much prefer some good GT racing.

Motors TV will show it now and again. The bigger races get in PPV though I think, or at least one of the 'pay' channels. I watch it on Motors TV. Wish I watched last weekends race, short-tracks are a blast to watch. I would love to go to Bristol and watch a race. I went to a Nationwide(Bush) race at Darlington once. That was an experience. The stands/ground would shake every time the field would go by. The 'noise' wasn't as loud as the old V10 F1 cars though.

Cool thanks I'll have a look, pretty sure I get Motors on Virgin.

I was really trying to get out to the Indy500 this year but couldn't make it work, maybe next year! Only been to the F1 once in 07 and yes I really wasn't expecting the noise to be as immense as it was! The F1 is obviously more high pitched though, would love to experience the rumble of these cars.........

It's something else to hear a big V8 scream to 8k+ Sprint cup now they are trying to turn them to 9200+ on some tracks. Indy, now that would be something to see. Hopefully next year! It's a good atmosphere in NASCAR. I don't think I saw a person without a pick-up or a tall boy in their hands =)

• 2 weeks later...