Chewed up bolt, help!

I think the OEM bolt was a 14mm hex but the other one I got was a 17mm hex so not sure how accurate that could be.

I like the idea of using the coil but I'm hoping a tap will just repair the damaged thread enough to get the new bolt in.

another route :(if m10 x 1.25)

http://www.amazon.co...45115882&sr=8-3

That looks interesting. What are the thread inserts as other kits don't come with these? Do you use that kit the same as the other taps?

How can I find out whether this hole is an M8 or M10?

get the ruler out !

m8 will be 8mm wide

m10 will be 10mm wide

measure to the edge of the threads as size is based on blank shaft

then count how many threads there are per inch !

1.25 will be about 20

1.5 will be about 16

Thanks Barrie, never knew there was so much to know about bolts! :lol:

Looking at the photo of the 2 bolts together I would say it's 1.25, the bolt is around an inch long.

:speak_cool: Well it was said on page 1 the Japanese coarse thread was equivalent to A UNF thread. Hope you learned something from it all, is what it's all about.

If the worse comes to the worse, could always use a nut!

If you do that, use the nut on the outside, so if the nut comes off the bolt stays in place.

h

There is no access from underneath though and I don't want to start cutting holes in the floor otherwise I would've done that.

• 1 month later...

Finally got some replacement bolts, I asked for 2 but the guy sent me 8! :) I thought I would try one yesterday on the off chance it would go in ok(ish) but it chewed up in the same place. Measuring the bolt at first with a ruler I thought it was an M8 but when I was at WIM they have a tap set and it looks abit small now looking at the bolt. So I've just measured it again trying to get the thread edges to the edge of the ruler and it's an M10.

Question I have now is could this hole be repaired with just a tap after trying to put a bolt in with the wrong thread pitch or will I need to use those wire thread inserts? If I need the latter does the hole need to be made larger?