Damaged shock and vibration...

Rich

I've spent the weekend and today changing me front shocks and springs to V6 ones, used not new. These are the same as TD ones except the springs are slightly shorter and firmer. Had grief with the pinch bolts, spent god knows how long drilling them out! rolleyes_anim.gif

Anyway, I fitted one side ok and did the other one today. Now I noticed when I put the top cap on that the nut doesn't sit flush on it, it does one side but not the other. Also noticed that the very end of the spring had broken at an angle, but the whole spring was there, it was more like a chip. I had to change the cap for another one as it was also broken. Before I took it apart I noticed that the spring wasn't actually sitting in the recess part of the cap, it was on the opposite side. So my theory is that maybe when they were used by the previous owner they had hit a pothole or something which has caused this, plus bent either the piston or thread on top of it in the process, hence the position of the nut.

I had to fit it as I needed the car for work and it went on ok apart from one thing. I couldn't do the top nut that goes on the rubber cover up as much as the other side. Driving to work I noticed a vibration, quite bad at times coming from the front. It doesn't do it all the time and is worse on uneven roads and when accelerating. If you are coasting, for example downhill, it disappears. The vibration is similar to when a wheel has lost a balancing weight but I had checked these and none are missing.

I did pull both driveshafts out fitting them and one of the bearings fell off but I put them back in ok and I thought that if they weren't then everything would not of locked back together ok. I also noticed that the CV joint on the same side is wearing, felt like it was sticking.

So my question is could the shock be causing this as there will obviously be some very small movement in it where that nut isn't sitting flush on the cap? Or could it be causing a strain on the CV joint that I suspect to be wearing?

I also emailed the person I bought them from who didn't know about the damage. They have informed me that when they had them on the car, they ate a pair of tyres in less than 5K miles. However, they assumed it was their lower arm bushes as they were all knackered.

I've decided to scrap using the V6 shocks/springs now as I can't be bothered to try drilling the rear bolts if they snap so am getting new shocks and springs the weekend for the fronts as I've only recently had new tyres put on.

Cheers rolleyes_anim.gif

you still havin ag m8?think you mite be rite regards the piston being bent.didnt think a pot hole would cause that much damege thow?could the previous car that thay were on been in abit of an accident or curbed?those rings on the end of the d/shafts are rite pains when i did my wishbones thay were always popping off and realy messing with my karma.how bad are the springs?could you not fit them to you original shocks or getting your dolla back for them.would be ashame to go through all that effort and stress and not get the result you wanted.been in that situation somany times with my cars and feals like a rite kick in the balls.hope you sort it soon geeza.and good luck rolleyes_anim.gif

My car is a constant headache mate!!

Thanks for the offer scorps but I'll pass as I need to get the car sorted by Saturday as got alot of driving to do Sunday questionmark.gif So I'm just gonna get 2 new front shocks and put me old springs on for now. The shocks are the same though for the TD and V6 so I'd only need springs if I change them again as me rear shocks are ok.

I wouldn't be happy using that damaged spring with the new shocks and I'm thinking of lowering it slightly now anyway, which brings me to another question...

Could I just lower the front 40mm and leave the rear springs as standard? Me brother has done this on his pug 106 but obviously the mondeo TD is alot bigger and heavier. I've always got people in the rear and a heavy boot load when I go away and I'm fairly certain the tyres will catch on the arch lip if I lower the rear.