Careful of old tyres...

ChannelZ

A little while ago I got a puncture at speed, ruining a tyre. The car had a perfect, unused Hankook Ventus Prime in the boot, I can only assume it was the factory spare as the wheel didn't look as if it'd been on.

So, I got a new Hankook Ventus Prime fitted to replace the dead Bridgestone, and put the other Bridgestone in the boot as the spare. Wonderful, two Hankooks with full tread.

Fast forward to today, while washing the car noticed a crack in the tread on one of the Hankooks. Checked the date, made sometime in the middle of 2004 (which figures as the car is Jan 2005). Took the wheel off, and the old tyre is cracking up like mad! :rolleyes: Every bit of tread has a crack round it, and some you can even see the metal cords if the sun is shining in to the crack. :o

So, it's now in the boot as spare again, and the orphaned Bridgestone is back on (now has similar tread depth to the new Hankook I bought last year).

Moral of the story - check when your tyres were made, and be very careful if they're more than 5 years old. 7 is asking for trouble!

Pics:

P1010181.JPG

P1010178.JPG