Electric Car beats Ferrari and Porsche

Tony

really? i thought the teslar was quite quick off the mark... but anything above 60 and there really isnt any competition for the old jungle juice :lol:

The Tesla's quick but not as quick as this. Interestingly this does 0-60 in 2.9s while the standard Atom does it in 2.8s - given the instant torque of the electric motors I thought it would be quicker off the line.

The Atom 500 can do sub 2.3s to 60, so this electric version is thoroughly beaten by its petrol counterparts. I'm glad people are coming up with this stuff though, once a better way of producing electricity is found (than batteries) all these electric drivetrains will come in useful :D

What I find interesting with electric cars is that the industry is still in it's infancy - if the same time, effort and money had been put into that rather than petrol and diesel engines and cars I wonder what the world would be like.

The biggest issue is power storage and / or generation since currently batteries can't hold the equivalent power to liquid fuels - once that had been addressed we could look at very much better cars since the current electric cars aren't as capable, especially in our winters when we will be needing heaters/ air-con, lights etc. on a lot.

I would like to try out a plug-in Prius though since the current non-plug in one is not really a viable electric car - the only way of charging it is using the engine.

ttfn

Don't you agree battery technology has moved on leaps and bounds over the last few years.

Well yes it's changed from lead-acid to Nickel-cadmium and Nickel metal hydride to Lithium-ion and that's about it for main-stream types (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery#Table_of_rechargeable_battery_types) but really it's only the last few years that fuel cells have been produced.

I feel the really exciting stuff is yet to come - especially nano-wire, but we will have to wait and see.

ttfn

Carbon panels can be shaped into anything, why not make the panels into photo cells :lol: ..... Taken to a futuristic extreme emitters of energy could be projected from street lights.... Ok reads ridiculous but trains use overhear power :D

Carbon panels can be shaped into anything, why not make the panels into photo cells :lol: ..... Taken to a futuristic extreme emitters of energy could be projected from street lights.... Ok reads ridiculous but trains use overhear power :D

Good thought - I think that's why I'm quite excited about electric power, we are still looking at it as replacing a liquid fuel engine, so the gearbox etc stay the same - but power can be transmitted through a variety of means, though I doubt a dodgems system would be practical there is still the prospect of a range of generation and storage systems as well as the possibilty of power being transmitted to the cars - something like a radio tower (or street lights I guess :-)) but at a frequency that cars could use to drive themselves rather than using their own batteries.

Tram lines, railways etc work ok, but wouldn't be practical for cars.

Swappable batteries are another idea.

If you think that in 100 years we have gone from the model T ford (1908) to the Prius (or your car of choice - and don't get me started on flight, 66 years from Kitty Hawk to the moon) just imagine what electric tech would be like in 100 years.

If battery tech and electric power generation could be boosted by 10 times each then we could say goodbye to the petrol and diesel engines (yeah I know you petrol heads will have fits if/ when that happens) that are not only polluting our world but providing a great excuse for the yanks to 'liberate' people.

See - this is what I'm like after a lager and 2 glasses of port.

ttfn

How about using the emitted energy from power lines :wacko:

There was an idea to embed induction charging panels into the motorway network (and subsequently all roads) which is actually an interesting one so cars would charge as they drove along.

That would be quite expensive though I think so hydrogen fuel cells have to be the way forward - I'm sure they already have an answer to its production but the oil companies are keeping that one quiet :D

How about using the emitted energy from power lines :wacko:

I'm not an expert but I wouldn't expect the power lines to generate a large field, otherwise we would hear about cars behaving oddly when driving underneath them etc.

The power lines would have to be capable of generating quite a large magnetic field though which is sure to play havoc with other things such as pigeons navigation, CRT TV's and radios.

If the roads were run along power line routes (or vice versa) then maybe induction could be used effectively, but I would imagine that the power lines would have to be buried in the roads for the effect to work.

I wonder how much current could actually be generated like that - ah lookee here the Koreans have trialled such a system.

hmm -why not us?

ttfn