Coilover - Dampening

Djaniero

Hey guys

Ive had a set of D2 Coilovers fitted to my car (ep82 Starlet Turbo) last week, and I had the tracking, camber castor etc set up today at Drury lane. I was just wondering if anybody could suggest any dampening settings for fast road use?. My coilovers are 36 way dampening adjustable. At the moment, I'm running plus 18 clicks on the front and rear = 3 full rotations from the softest setting.

Thanks for any info.

the damping rates can be considered completely analogue and that there really is no way of knowing exactly how much damping 18 clicks really is. That is unless you measure it on a damper dyno, and even then you'll find that your damping rate changes reletive to heat inside the damper.

I assume the D2 coilovers adjust both the compression damping and the rebound damping together at the same time. If that is the case then there really isn't any science to setting them up it'll just be a case of trying different settings and then testing the car to see how it "feels" ... if it feels good, it is good.

Although as a tip; I would adjust both front and the rear absolutely together until you feel the amount of damping is neither to high (harsh & crashy) or too low (floaty and sluggish).... then play with the front vs rear balance... this way you avoid taking on too many variables at once.

This advice comes from some pm's to acquire the best method.

Cool. I'll get on the case. A few of the guys on my forum suggest setting the rear slighly harder than the front. Something to do with oversteer I think they said??

Yes is true but finding the actual numbers needs to start from a level platform.... Careful increments will display the corrected set-up for you.

Damping is down to personal preference and how you like the car to feel.

Start with both set in the middle at the same levels then wind them up or down together until you find a feel you like.

Once you've done that go for a hard drive, feel how the car behaves and adjust each end accordingly to balance it out.

d2`s settings are :hard, harder, even harder, and ouch !

:lol:

lol. They've not been too bad to be honest. I'm running them with 0 preload at the mo. I had them on their hardest setting the other day, and that was pretty harsh.

Thanks again for the info guys, i'll keep you posted