A cut in the sidewall of my tyre - can it be repaired?

JimR123

Hi,

I've somehow managed to get a cut in the sidewall of my tyre. I can't figure out how, but the alloy wheel is also scuffed right next to it, so I'm guessing I somehow must have wacked something. Suprising thing is, it's on the driver's side rear tyre. The only time I can recall that tyre getting close to a curb is when I'm overtaking something, and I think I would've noticed clipping the curb if I had hit it at that speed!

I think the cut is probably about 4 or 5mm deep, but the tyre hasn't shown any obvious signs of losing air yet. I noticed the cut about 3 days ago.

I'm worried that its dangerous to be driving on it, as maybe a hard hit through a suprise bump could maybe blow the tyre?

My question is, can you repair a tyre with a cut on the sidewall? I've checked out a few tyre repair websites, and some call it a "major repair", and others say "repair not possible" for that area. Also, if it is repairable, is a repair expensive enough to consider just replacing it with a new tyre?

And... if I should be replacing the tyre... I've always replaced 2 at a time, so they have the same level of tread on the same axis, as I remember hearing somewhere that this is a good idea for handling and safety. Might have been from a garage selling tyres though! Is this good advice or would replacing just one not making any difference in handling at all?

Has it got a bulge and can you see the cords?

There's not an obvious bulge. I've tried not to pull the cut apart too much for fear of making it worse, but I couldn't see any cords.

Hopefully you can see a photo of it below (if I've managed to attach it right)...

IMAGE_1000001105.JPG

That looks pretty minor, so doubt it's a problem.

As for the question of how it happened, a pothole managed to do exactly the same damage to one of my old wheels (otherwise unexplained wheel and tyre damage) so that could be the reason :)

I do manage to hit a lot of potholes, allthough that's more because there are a lot of potholes to hit, I like to think B)

Cosmetic... That part is the curbing lip just doing it's job.

Do you think it needs repairing, or is it safe as is?

Dont think that part can be repaired, anyway there's nothing to worry about as it's perfectly safe B) i've seen much worse!