Deisel-like noise when at low revs

Hi,

I'm on my third Mazda MX5 now, my second Mk3 version, but bought this one at only 3.5k miles.

I'm getting an undesirable noise when at low revs, mostly when accelerating, even very slightly. I also get the same noise sometimes when changing gear. If I try driving at 10mph, which is 1st gear at about 2k revs, I get the noise constantly.

My OH says it sounds like it's a deisel when it makes the noise, but as I've never had a deisel, I couldn't say. To me it kind of sounds like something's rattling, but only in those certain circumstances. It sounds like the noise is coming from underneath rather than in the engine area.

I had noticed the noise a little when I took the car for a test drive, but when I mentioned it to the sales guy, he just said he didn't notice anything unusual, but he'd get the guys in the garage to check it over before handing it over. I assumed that it was perhaps just because it only had a few miles on the clock, and just needed running in or something.

Well, 5k miles later, and still the same noise.

The car is a MX5 Mk3 Coupe Sport Tech 6speed... http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/mazda/m...r/summary/56840

Can anybody please suggest what might be the trouble here?

Is it normal? ...because if it is, I wish hadn't bought the car as it sounds really cheap and nasty, which I don't expect for the £18k I paid for it. Annoyingly, my old MX5 Mk3, which I replaced with this, didn't make any such noises, but instead at low revs made a satisfying growling noise to remind you to shift down.

I would say not normal..... It also reads like the timing is out?

Would bad timing not be noticable at higher revs too? To my untrained ear it seems to sound ok at higher revs.

...allthough different to my old Mk3. I put that down to the fact that it always feels like I have to rev it higher.

Jim was your last mk3 a 5 or 6 speed box, cos they sound different. It's made to resonate off the intake or something.

Only on six speed versions. Just a thought :smile_anim:

Last Mk3 was a 5 speed, so you may be onto something there.

If the 6 speed was made deliberately to make a different noise, I wonder why? ...as it certainly doesn't make it sound any sportier.

What do you know about this resonation thing? Don't suppose you have any links to sites that go into excrutiating detail, so I can at least try and understand it.

Jim was your last mk3 a 5 or 6 speed box, cos they sound different. It's made to resonate off the intake or something.

Only on six speed versions. Just a thought :smile_anim:

Last Mk3 was a 5 speed, so you may be onto something there.

If the 6 speed was made deliberately to make a different noise, I wonder why? ...as it certainly doesn't make it sound any sportier.

What do you know about this resonation thing? Don't suppose you have any links to sites that go into excrutiating detail, so I can at least try and understand it.

read it in a magazine a while ago, one of the Banzai writers had a Mk3 as a project car

let us know how you get on with the dealer