MX5 2.0 Sport

Funky

• 5 months later...

Fitted my new stereo last week just a few quick pics. Nothing special as it would be wasted in a soft top, just needed a bit more.

Also fed up with having CDs laying around in the car coz most of my music is on my PC now. This doesn't have a CD player on it.

It connects to my phone with Bluetooth and gives me hands free and can also play any music stored on the phone. One of a few head-units that are aimed at Android phones and not just iPhones and iPods.

JVC even do an Android app that allows me to use phone as a remote control.

But I mainly play tunes from a USB memory stick connected to a lead that comes out the back routed to the centre console.

Also replaced the speakers at the same time. Direct fit JBLs. Used a bit of sound damping in the doors to stop things vibrating too.

img0j.jpg

img1tz.jpg

The fascia adapter was ok, but not a perfect fit or finish just ok. Maybe i'll look for a better quality one. Crap photo though.

img3rp.jpg

I don't like flashing lights and stuff on car stereos so this was a good choice coz it lets me adjust the colours to match the dashboard illumination.

img4sv.jpg

Pleased with the sound overall, so much better that standard kit (non Bose). Now I have hours of tunes on a memory stick. Just need to plug it in the PC now and again to update it.

Head unit was £89

Speakers only £44

Lead £6 (lost steering wheel controls but never used them anyway, can add them back if I wanted.)

Fascia £10 (too cheap)

Sound deadening mat £10

• 3 months later...

Your MX5 looks lovely Funky, very well looked after and paint that you could see your face in! :D Love the darker alloys too. I have a question about the pedal set. I found that when I test drove my MX5 that the foot rest is quite close to the clutch pedal and was easily caught when moving between the two, something I'm sure comes with familiarity to some extent, but I have heard others mention this, and also I have quite small feet! So I guess my question is how do you find the pedal set, is the foot rest any different I.e. slightly narrower?

Thanks Davey. Yeah i think the darker alloys make it look more of a mans car :whistle:

Never had a problem with clutch pedal and foot rest spacing and i have size 10 feet and wear boots for work lol. The only problem i do have is swinging my huge feet and boots in without scuffing the door card.

Agreed they do look close on the photos. Sure you would get used to it, loads of space inbetween the clutch and brake.

The pedals do look good, and look like a nicely made item. I think they may have to be one of the first changes I make. I'm sure i'll adapt to the spacing, i think the pedals are very slightly offset to the right compared to my previous couple of cars, so probably just muscle memory finding the edge of the foot rest occasionally when going for the clutch! I'm sure a new exhaust may have to be snuck onto the to-do list at some point in the future, it certainly doesn't help when people post nice shiny pictures of their new exahusts. :D

• 7 months later...

Yup fitted on Saturday  :D http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/br-series-coilovers

First of all thanks to Tony, Joe and all at WIM for a friendly pro service.

When i arrived I was shown my new coilovers. We discussed how i wanted the car to look. Ride height, front to back etc. Also what set-up i wanted, and how it handled at the moment.

I've waited until now to write this coz i have done a lot of driving over weekend and quite a few miles to a course for work and back today.

All i can say is.... Amazing! :thumbsup_anim:

I can't believe the difference it's made, better in every way, and not just the obvious. The cornering, turn in and traction brings a huge smile to my face, and i always drive out of a bend thinking i could have gone so much faster round there (if i was on a track of course) lol.

Not just that though, the acceleration,braking and overall stability is much better to.

This does lead me to think that the old shocks were a bit tired and could no longer cope with the lowered springs, or never really matched them in the first place.

Steering feels nice to, maybe coz of the top mounts?

As expected the ride is on the firm side, gonna let everything settle in before i play with damper settings. Currently set by WIM to 16 front 14 rear from soft out of 30.

On rough surfaces the car does lump a bit, but saying that you can sense each wheel/damper doing it's thing controlling the movement not the whole car moving around.

Funnily enough the ride gets better the faster you go on back roads :D . So i think i will be softening things up just a little to reduce the vibrations on broken roads.

My cars feels tight, new and is a round-about eating monster. Has a great stance at an even practical height front to back.

I really must pull my finger out and get it on a track.

Overall Awesome! I'm a happy bunny.

Great stuff  :D Similar to the impression that I have from the setup. The only difference is that I still have my winter tyres on the car which soften the steering response slightly and mean the car takes a split second longer to settle once turned into the corner as the tyres move/give slightly. As you say though the steering response is electric, and the traction amazing. You almost don't expect a small little roadster like this to be able to generate that much grip, but as you say I often find I come out of a corner thinking i'd been round it quite quickly, but realising the car clearly had grip to spare (Nothing a little extra power couldn't overwhelm....... now who can lend me £5000 for the BBR supercharger conversion.... :D )

I've definitely found that softening the suspension improves the ride on the really broken roads. Which in some ways is a shame, as it feels incredible on the firmer settings, and if it weren't for the shocking state of our roads then i'd run it firmer all of the time. Part of the fun is in the playing around with the settings though!

Anyways, glad to hear you are happy and nice to hear the thoughts of someone with the same setup! :)

Yeah I see that Saturday Tony. Looks like it needs some TLC.

Now suspension is sorted I have a small list of things I need to do next. Not all expensive fortunately. Been waiting for better weather.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Old topic I know but could you advise which spring rate of BC you had installed - the 7/5 or the 6/4 set?

Cheers - Norton

Sorry Norton not been around for a while. The 6/4 set, it's more than hard enough for road use.

I'm sure you found this out by now though  :unsure: