Best 14" Tyres?

Frankthered

Hi there!

So, here's my first question for the WiM forum. I have a Minari kit car that is finally about to hit the road after a very long (and professionally completed) build. I'm collecting the car on Tuesday. :)

So what the problem? Well, I have a nice set of alloys that suit the car really well (IMHO) that currently have a set of (probably really old) mix & match tyres fitted. I'm going to keep these on for a couple of weeks while the suspension settles. (I'll take it easy on the old rubber.) :rolleyes:

After that, I will need new boots, so I'm wondering what to get - as you might have guessed the alloys are 14" and the stock size is 185/60/14 and as you probably know, there’s not much around that suits sports cars in this size. :D

After extensive internet research, I’ve narrowed it down to:

Uniroyal Rainexpert

Dunlop SP Sport Fast Response

Bridgestone ER300

Not much between these pricewise. The Bridgestone usually performs best in magazine tests, but might not suit a light car, Dunlop’s marketing suggests that would be the best one, but does it reflect reality and the Uniroyal might work best as it’s directional, but how good a tyre is it, really?

I could up the spend a little (well ok, quite a bit) and get some Michelin PE2s, although a bloke I spoke to about them at Costco told me Michelin have stopped making them in 14â€, or some Toyo T1Rs in 195/55/14 but availability of both these is patchy and maybe neither will be around for too much longer.

I know I could get track day tyres or 15†wheels but I don’t really want to do either of those at the moment.

I really would appreciate any thoughts on this one :D

I would go for Yokohama C-Drive, their a proper sticky tyre.

Even for rd use Tony?....i used to use super sticky tyres for the R1 in the summer but they dont last long, well not the way i use to ride :( :blink:

I would go for Yokohama C-Drive, their a proper sticky tyre.

Thanks ER - yes, I've seen Tyrereviews (and Tyretest.com) and have even added a couple of my own reviews to the site. :blink:

Thanks for the shout Tony - did you mean C-Drives, or C-Drive 2s, or are they pretty similar? I'm a little surprised by the suggestion TBH - would you say the Yokos are stickier than the Toyos?

:(

Cheers for the shout though!

FTR