Removing pinch bolts & drilling them out

When I lowered the car I had the aggro of both front pinch bolts snapping and it took me 2 days to drill them out! The rears I undid the suspension arms and kept the knuckle on the strut. Obviously I need to separate these now I'm breaking the car.

I know you've lowered Mondeos at WIM Tony and had no issues with the bolts. Is this cos you used the air gun on them to shock them out? If they do snap how can they be drilled out quickly? I've heard some garages have massive drills that will go straight through the bolt leaving a clean hole. Is this something you can do at WIM?

The front 2 I did snapped within 1 or 2 turns so you couldn't even cut the bolt, I had to drill the whole way through. They are usually seized so much you can't even get the non threaded bit out without drilling it. Would it be worth trying the air gun on them?

• 1 month later...

I undid one of them yesterday by 1/2", which took an hour in between doing other bits to let the bolt cool down. It was VERY tight and I was working it back and forwards to losen all the crap. I manged to snap a 1/2" to 1/4" convertor as well so need a new one of those. I also had to borrow a 1/2" 18 socket, would you believe the halfords 150 piece kit doesn't come with one but has 17 and 19!! :D

Guess what, both have snapped, FFS! ;)

One I got out 1/2" so I should be able to cut the bolt in half. The other one I got 1 and 1/2 turns before it went so am stuffed!

I want to sell the knuckles with the ABS sensors as these can't be removed so the bolts need to come out.

What would WIM do if this happened there?

How do you mean the centre, either side of where the bolt passes through the shock? I can do that on one side but the other I only got 1 and half turns so it's not opened up enough. Although I could try to force it open.

What am I screwing into the threaded end? ;)

Wouldn't it be easier to take it somewhere that has the tools to drill straight through it?

But the bolt is so tight and probably seized (which is why it snapped) I don't think that will work. The bolt goes through a hole in the shock so to release that you need to cut either side of it. That won't leave much bolt left to grab hold of.

We tried that with the fronts as well, heating it up and trying to punch the non threaded end out but it wouldn't budge, I had to drill the whole bolt out in the end on both sides. It might be better if I bring the knuckles over and show you what I mean.

At least this time I don't have to rush to get it done! ;)

Once I've got them off I will, it'll be easier to explain in person. I don't even need the knuckles but the ABS sensors can't be removed without snapping so I need to sell them complete. I don't think anyone will with a snapped bolt inside.

I think Jammy has only ever snapped 1 bolt, don't know how he managed to undo the others, even using lots of plusgas and working the bolt back and forwards didn't work, stupid Ford! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cut through both bolts today and got the struts out. I manage to loosen the remaining bolt on the non threaded side but can't remove it as the gap isn't wide enough when you open the knuckle. I'll have a go at drilling the remaining bolt and see if I can get it to undo with an extractor.