Focus ST Steering wheel wobble; geometry setup?

JamesW1979

Hi,

I have a 2006 Focus ST and I've noticed slight (maybe 2/3 mm) steering wheel wobble at between 65 and 75 MPH, I had the wheels balanced and found the front wheels were buckled so I bought 2 brand new wheels thinking it would solve the problem but it didn't, the wobble is still there with the 2 brand new 18 inch wheels. The car does not drift nor does it pull to either side under braking; the steering wheel appears central to me and the only other behaviour I've noticed is a decrease in tyre noise when the steering wheel is turned to the left slightly (by less than 20 degrees).

I'm not sure what to try next to cure the wobble; would tracking / alignment / geometry setup be a possible cause for the wobble or should I look elsewhere first, such as a more accurate balancing, I thought replacing the buckled front alloy wheels with known straight wheels would cure the problem, obviously I was wrong. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

James.

Reads like balance still...... Problem is the centre hole is not always central, so if they put the balance dye in the hole to mount the wheel it gives the wrong reading..... You need to mount it like this>

post-2-1301917436.jpg

could this have something to do with my woble on the 306 tony?reads pretty the same and the guys at ats couldnt balce the wheels right but there are now buckles in the rims?? (no thread hi-jack intended lol)

Reads like balance still...... Problem is the centre hole is not always central, so if they put the balance dye in the hole to mount the wheel it gives the wrong reading..... You need to mount it like this>

post-2-1301917436.jpg

Hi,

I seem to remember seeing that piece of kit on another thread here; it's an expensive pice of kit if I remember rightly, not something that my local kwik-fit has. I'll see if I can find a place with one local in Cambridge and try that kind of balance first. If I can't find one local as I plan to come to you to get the geometry set-up on the car anyhow I'll get the wheels balanced properly then.

Thanks for the response.

James.