Magnetic Suspension

Tony

According to M&M Mercedes are/ have developed Magnetic suspension for future concepts, a seamless dampening system that makes Citroen's hydolastic look like the Flintstones... Desperately i have researched the web for more information concluding with nothing... Does anyone have insight to this concept?

Im not sure if this, the original V8 IS300 had it or not but i remember having a CD explaining all about the magnetic suspension......i'll have to try and find it.

IS430_Rear.jpg

Rod millen and his team developed the magnetic suspension (if im right) a couple of years back.

Here you go i was right..

http://www.millenworks.com/html/suspension_systems.htm

The Bose system seems to be a fully active system. Not sure I'd want to trust the long term reliability of such a system when compared against say a simple spring and orifice damper.

The MR system is intriguing. Some dampers contain a motor that controls the size of the orifice within the damper. But this approach doesn't offer real time control of the dampers characteristics. On the MR damper it seems that they have used a fluid whose viscosity can be controled by an applied magnetic field. I haven't got the feintest idea just how usefull such real time control would be for road use, though at least it should fail safe when the electrics plays up.

The new TT has an active magnetic suspension iirc

The magnetic system uses a synthetic magneto-rheological (MR) oil in which teensy-weensy iron particles - much smaller in diameter than the width of a human hair - float about at random.

On a smooth, straight road the iron particles are pretty much left to do their own thing in free-flowing oil, but under cornering forces, for example, they get zapped by the magnetic field and jump into line to change the consistency of the oil to that of molasses or peanut butter to firm up damping. It is this continuously variable damping force that adapts to changing road surfaces without the delays of conventional mechanical systems.