RFT (Run Flat Tyres)

Tony

As most know the RFT (run flat tyre) is armoured so that i can 'run flat'. To cope with this aggressive sidewall the suspension is down-graded to ensure a comfortable ride..... That's all well and good but there is an unadvertised issue.

The RFT when hitting a bump/pot-hole does not absorb the impact within the sidewall like conventional tyres so the energy is transported through the wheel to the down rated coils. Whats missing from the RFT development is the wheel itself (no development) so the consequence is this......

post-2-1161980283_thumb.jpg

The lack of absorption now directly aimed at the wheel is cracking them.....

wim says: It's pants, this BMW rim costs over £500 and is now scrap thanks to the compulsory pothole we cannot avoid on a day-to-day basis... All new developments have a cost but i feel the cost to the owner regarding the RFT is unexceptable......

Obviously the manufacturer of the wheels know they are for RFT so you would think they would know this could be a problem. :blink:

Or is it just me mad.gif

Reading between the lines i think they assumed the new suspension would belay this problem....If they have got it all wrong then this will cost someone a lot of money.... and i wonder who?

Have they heard of testing mad.gif

I honestly don't know.... probably on simulators and test tracks, in the real world there is an obvious problem, this is the third wheel i have seen at STS cracked over the last few weeks so i feel a RFT virus is inevitable :blink:

The owner could sue the council......i've done that b4.

Indeed but my problem is with the product.. Since the wheel is not 'flat-spotted' meaning the entire inner dish was damaged then the impact must have been reasonably confined to the bead area, this is quite worrying.

Indeed but my problem is with the product.. Since the wheel is not 'flat-spotted' meaning the entire inner dish was damaged then the impact must have been reasonably confined to the bead area, this is quite worrying.

Tony..do you know if those are cast or forged? Considering the price I would expect the latter, but the crack says otherwise.

Tony..do you know if those are cast or forged? Considering the price I would expect the latter, but the crack says otherwise.

To my knowledge the wheel is designed for the standard tyre... the only addition is the pressure sender fitted to the valve, this is to make the driver aware he/she has a deflated tyre.. 'cast or forged' add BMW to the rim then the price is whatever... :blink:

To my knowledge the wheel is designed for the standard tyre... the only addition is the pressure sender fitted to the valve, this is to make the driver aware he/she has a deflated tyre.. 'cast or forged' add BMW to the rim then the price is whatever... :blink:

My new rims are not far short of the BMW cost, but they're a three piece forged construction. BTW, I haven't heard back from Eibach, Germany on the UK/US spring issue so have sent them an email chaser...

My new rims are not far short of the BMW cost, but they're a three piece forged construction. BTW, I haven't heard back from Eibach, Germany on the UK/US spring issue so have sent them an email chaser...

With the tyre/wheel configuration you have this scary topic does not apply to you (thankfully).... On the Coil side of things, the feed back i received displayed much distress for the approved fitment you have. If you don't get an answer soon then i will pass the link on to you, but appreciate this would complicate things.

With the tyre/wheel configuration you have this scary topic does not apply to you (thankfully).... On the Coil side of things, the feed back i received displayed much distress for the approved fitment you have. If you don't get an answer soon then i will pass the link on to you, but appreciate this would complicate things.

Sounds a bit worrying. No harm being done at the moment though as I'm driving around on the other side of the pond in a Ford Escape and the 250 will remain stationary for at least another 3 weeks :blink: