Koni sport kit finally fitted to my '5, now for geo...

Masher

Hi guys,

Well i finally got round to getting my suspension sorted on my '99 Mx5 (it has only been a year in the making!) After much deliberation i decided to hold off just doing the springs and get the full Koni Sport Kit. Happy enough with the result but i know with a full geo setup things will only get better.

At the moment i'm still running the stock 14" rims with 185/60's but i've pick up a set of 17's that will eventually go on, cash permitting, decent 205/40 R17 tyres are expensive! I never intended to go that big (16's max) but i stumbled accross a rare bargain on ebay and couldn't resist - a brand new set of Racing Hart's as fitted to the 2005 Mazdaspeed SE. Sold :o

Which brings me to my question... i'm looking at getting the WIM fast road setup done asap but was wondering if my geo requirements will change when the 17's go on?

Cheers

masher.. can i ask why you will be going for 205/40/17 tyres ? the most common tyre size for 17 is 225/45/17, you will find a huge price difference between the two!

Will 225 wide tyres even fit on an MX5 though?

masher.. can i ask why you will be going for 205/40/17 tyres ? the most common tyre size for 17 is 225/45/17, you will find a huge price difference between the two!

Will 225 wide tyres even fit on an MX5 though?

Thanks for the input guys

Main reason for going with that size was to try and keep the overall diameter the same as the originals - don't fancy having my speedo lying to me! or losing anymore accel...

As the wheels are 17x7J not sure i could go to a 225 tyre anyhow, 215 maybe. I just looked up the spec of the Mx5 Mazdaspeed 2004/2005 to get the 205/40/17 tyre size as it was factory fit by mazda, so thought they would know what they were doing... another reason why reason i jumped in and bought them, thought mazda would have done the math for me. :D

Yeah Tony, the weight did concern me but these are 'suppose' to be lighter than the 16's fitted to the sport. I read somewhere they are around 17lbs (7.7kg)... but haven't had them on a scale yet to confirm or deny. No idea how much my original wheels weigh tbh as a comparison?!

As for the offset they are 40, which i believe to be in keeping with the recommendations...

hmmm... not sure now about these now...

Phew! Thanks Tony... it'll be a little while yet before they go on but it's good to know they won't ruin the handling!

This maybe super last minute, but is there any chance of fitting me in tomorrow for a WIM Fast Road setup? It just so happens that i'll be in your area tomorrow early doors and thought this might be the perfect opportunity to get the WIM treatment...

Phew! Thanks Tony... it'll be a little while yet before they go on but it's good to know they won't ruin the handling!

This maybe super last minute, but is there any chance of fitting me in tomorrow for a WIM Fast Road setup? It just so happens that i'll be in your area tomorrow early doors and thought this might be the perfect opportunity to get the WIM treatment...

No sorry, fully booked :D

No sorry, fully booked :(

Ahh, thought it was a long shot mate. Guess the weekends are mad busy for you...

When is your next available slot so you can work your magic? Really keen to get this done asap.

Given that the suspension has just been dismantled/free'd up, shouldn't have to worry about any seized bolts or snappages at least! (was that just the kiss of death?! :) )

What day are you thinking?

I'd have to check with work but Weds could be a go'er? How are you fixed during the week?

Given that i will be moving from the 14's to the 17's sometime in the future, would the settings require a tweak at that stage?

I'd have to check with work but Weds could be a go'er? How are you fixed during the week?

Given that i will be moving from the 14's to the 17's sometime in the future, would the settings require a tweak at that stage?

I have spaces at the moment..... We can take the wheel change into account on the day.

I have spaces at the moment..... We can take the wheel change into account on the day.

Lovely stuff, can you pencil me in for Weds then? would that be an am or pm slot?

Lovely stuff, can you pencil me in for Weds then? would that be an am or pm slot?

Got 9am, 11am, 3pm onwards at the mo.... you tell me?

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

185/60-14 4.4in 11.4in 22.7in 71.4in 887 0.0%

195/50-15 3.8in 11.3in 22.7in 71.2in 889 -0.3%

205/40-16 3.2in 11.2in 22.5in 70.5in 898 -1.2%

215/40-16 3.4in 11.4in 22.8in 71.5in 886 0.1%

205/35-17 2.8in 11.3in 22.6in 71.2in 890 -0.4%

215/35-17 3.0in 11.5in 22.9in 72.0in 880 0.8%

195/40-17 3.1in 11.6in 23.1in 72.7in 872 1.8%

205/40-17 3.2in 11.7in 23.5in 73.7in 860 3.2%

205/45-17 3.6in 12.1in 24.3in 76.2in 831 6.7%

225/45-17 4.0in 12.5in 25.0in 78.5in 808 9.8%

miata website

All the viable sizes I could find for speedo correctness in bold. The last two are massively out - 45 profile isn't an option really!

guess what size I couldn't resist putting on my CRX when I was given a set of 16's for nearly no money with 205's on?

they're also stock at 185/60-14 and I went to 215/40-16 based on the 0.1% difference.

tramlining and aquaplaning of course never entered my head.

that's when Falken still did a FK451, and I'd never heard of WIM yet. ;)

Book me in for the 9am slot please Tony, then i can enjoy the rest of the day 'testing' my new setup ;)

See you Wednesday mate!

Book me in for the 9am slot please Tony, then i can enjoy the rest of the day 'testing' my new setup :D

See you Wednesday mate!

Booked ;)