Feeling Disconnected...........

..........from what the wheels are doing - would a geo setup or tyres really make that much difference?

Well, after getting my MX5 sorted (geo and tyres) the plan was to get my V70 down to WIM - but things (like a screw in my MX5 tyre on the shoulder requiring another new tyre, cracked sump, etc etc ) seem to keep preventing me getting things together.

Anyhow, I have had the V70 since July with different tyres on every wheel (but with the two with the most tread, a Falken and a Bridgestone, on the back) - something which I planned to rectify in stages as funds allow, since I have always run matched tyres on all wheels on every previous car I have owned.

Then, the Falken blew out in the outside lane of the M4 last week and despite my reservations, the 60 mile journey home on the spacesaver at 50mph was absolutely fine. I found a small crack in the original alloy so had it welded and checked/straightened at Lepsons and fitted with a new Bridgestone tyre to give me a matching pair on the rear axle with the other two more worn tyres on the front.

Sorted.........or so I thought.

The problem is that since replacing the spacesaver with the original wheel and new tyre, the car handling is terrible and feels like the steering is disconnected from the wheels, uneven roads make things much worse and it feels (to me) like the tyres are rolling around on marbles. I am tempted to put the spacesaver back on just to see how it drives, and it so bad I probably won't drive it tomorrow.

Now, I could take the car into Carsons in Melksham who are just 5 minutes down the road from me for a geo setup (if they do Saturday slots), or I could get another 2 tyres fitted to the rear and rotate the other to the front, but can't really afford either right now so doing both is out of the question and I can't afford the spend if it doesn't rectify the issue.

So do Carsons have the same facilities as at Chesham and would a geo setup be more beneficial than new tyres - or should I try to get a Saturday slot at WIM?

I can't figure out what the issue may be, so can't decide what to do for the best or whether the whole wheel/tyre thing is a coincidence and I should be spending money elsewhere (suspension or steering issues?) to get it sorted

Thanks.

Steve O.

Sounds like the new Bridgestone needs to srub in, maybe ?

Thanks for the response - I was just taken aback at how badly the car drives having had quite a few new tyres in 30 years driving and on a lot of occasions replacing a single tyre rather than both on an axle. That and the fact that the spacesaver was new and unused and yet the car handled fine - and infinitely better than it does now.

I am toying with getting both the geo and the 2 new tyres on the rear (even if I have to use a couple of credit cards) despite the fact that there is an awful lot of wear left on the 2 oddball fronts.

Incidentally, you may have changed your username at some point but if you are Pete then I think it was you who did the geometry on my MX5 earlier in the year?

Steve Oh

Have you tried swapping the wheels over to see if the handling changes?

Unfortunately I haven't had time due to work and ended up using the other car today as I was running late.

If Carsons don't have a slot this Saturday I may try messing with the wheels, but I currently have the best tyres (new and nearly new) on the rear axle as I understood was the recommendation.

Steve O.

• 2 weeks later...
Odd condition..... If you do go in Sat call me with the geo numbers so i can analyze the chassis .. 07948427383

Just a quick update - I drove past Carsons on the way home just after 12 on Saturday in the rain and as it was quiet I stopped in and they managed to fit me in without notice (they close at 1pm).

Upshot with the tyres was that they rotated the rear tyres to the front and put 2 new tyres on the rear axle so I am now running an almost matched set (at least the same tyres all round with one that has a little less tread than the others).

Although I did mention full geometry in my emails, what it says on the paperwork is 4 wheel alignment so I am not sure whether it is a terminology thing or they don't have the same equipment as at WIM, but I do know that they had to work to free up some bits and then wait for them to cool down so it took a while to do (up until closing).

Anyhow, the car feels a lot better, especially after a few miles and scrubbing in the tyres and doesn't feel scary to drive. It doesn't handle as well as my MX-5 (obviously) or even my old S40 but it does feel an awful lot better.

Tony- I didn't get any paperwork with any numbers on (no printouts or anything) and didn't see the point in bothering you at the weekend, so didn't try calling. Just thought I'd update here when I got a chance to try things out.

Thanks.

Steve O.

Steve,

This is the thread to read regarding what the different alignments are:

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showtopic=49

Sounds like you got lucky and they improved the situation! But as always, they aligned the front wheels to the rear wheels, what are the rear wheels aligned to?

h