Used lens, do I need VR?

Rich

I've been looking at the Nikkor 55-200 with VR that's £150 on amazon but for that price it will be a grey import. However, I have seen the same lens for sale without VR for £80. Now do I really need this on a 200mm zoom? I will mainly be using it for animals and cars. I've been doing some reading and it's actually suggested you don't need to use this all the time, just as and when it's needed. I need the lens for next thursday or definitely the weekend so what do we think?

I've been looking at the Nikkor 55-200 with VR that's £150 on amazon but for that price it will be a grey import. However, I have seen the same lens for sale without VR for £80. Now do I really need this on a 200mm zoom? I will mainly be using it for animals and cars. I've been doing some reading and it's actually suggested you don't need to use this all the time, just as and when it's needed. I need the lens for next thursday or definitely the weekend so what do we think?

do you shoot mainly from tripod or hand ?

if by hand then the answer is yes, get VR, more so at 200mm zoom

I always think its better to have the option than not

do the grey imports carry worldwide warranty ?

do you shoot mainly from tripod or hand ?

if by hand then the answer is yes, get VR, more so at 200mm zoom

I always think its better to have the option than not

do the grey imports carry worldwide warranty ?

By hand but for track action and animals as they move you will need a high shutter speed, which I thought would make the VR pointless. It only becomes useful at slow shutter speeds. So from what I've been reading it's handy to have IF you do need it but you don't need it switched on all the time. Which is why I was thinking I could save myself £70 by getting the non VR lens.

The grey imports are bought in from America or China I think and the warranty will be with the company that sold you the lens. If you get the lens from an authorised Nikon retailer, like Jessops, it will cost about £230. Some sellers on ebay are £130 posted, such as this one and they seem to have good reviews, UK based premises, which they allow collection from etc. Lens rarely go wrong from what I've read so all should be ok but if it was to go tits up it could leave me out of pocket if the company I bought from had gone bust for example.

VR is vitally important imho - would never buy a lens without it. Have a look at this for a bit more in depth analysis.......LINK

Had a read of that and it's very interesting, I'll try and find the link I was reading...

Found it

That's a really interesting article too, I'll have a more careful read of that when I get home as there's some useful info in it.

You're right it's all about slow shutter speeds, if you're doing all your shooting in good light of fast stuff then yep you're probably not going to need it, but if you will be using it in low light and stuff with slow shutter speeds then it's worth having :angry2:

That's a really interesting article too, I'll have a more careful read of that when I get home as there's some useful info in it.

You're right it's all about slow shutter speeds, if you're doing all your shooting in good light of fast stuff then yep you're probably not going to need it, but if you will be using it in low light and stuff with slow shutter speeds then it's worth having :)

I think there are valid points to both sides of the arguement. I would imagine photographers who were shooting before the days of VR would be more weary of using this technology as they had to learn without it. Someone who is just starting out (i.e. me) would probably be tempted to keep it on all the time. Although doing that could ruin the photo as the lens is hunting for vibration when there isn't any.

I have pretty much decided to go with the VR lens now as there will be times when I shoot in low light. I just need to decide where to buy it from now, I think the ebay link above would be ok so might take the chance with that.

I have to admit I haven't switched VR off even once since I got the camera - I haven't noticed any real detriment to any photo but as I don't know what I'm looking for I am now going to have to test this out. I'll have to take a few daytime shots at high shutter speeds with VR on and off and see if it makes a difference...........

If you remember the thread where I put up my photos from Goodwood, those were all relatively high speed but VR was on all the time - would be interesting to know from those pics (maybe one for Sagitar) as to whether those pictures have been affected in any way by using VR?

LINK

I have to admit I haven't switched VR off even once since I got the camera - I haven't noticed any real detriment to any photo but as I don't know what I'm looking for I am now going to have to test this out. I'll have to take a few daytime shots at high shutter speeds with VR on and off and see if it makes a difference...........

If you remember the thread where I put up my photos from Goodwood, those were all relatively high speed but VR was on all the time - would be interesting to know from those pics (maybe one for Sagitar) as to whether those pictures have been affected in any way by using VR?

LINK

I turned VR off earlier when I was taking a few photos and all of the ones where the subject is quite large look ok to me. When I zoomed in at 55mm to try and get some of a wasp, a few of them were slightly blurred from where I didn't keep the camera perfectly still. TBH I think it was more to do with how I had positioned myself but nevertheless the shots didn't look great. I still got a couple of slightly blurred photos after turning it on but I can definitely see the benefit of having it now. At 200mm it will be needed and I think this why the guy selling the non VR lens hasn't sold it yet.

I'm not sure if you can see from the exif data whether VR has been used for a shot as the switch is on the lens itself.

Bought the 55-200 VR off ebay now :)

Awesome, how much did it cost if you don't mind my asking?

£125 delivered, which is obviously a grey import but as someone said to me they're all made in the same factory anyway. The only difference is the warranty is with the seller rather than Nikon. Cheapest I had found for a UK one was £180 and Jessops sell them for £230 so still a good saving. It seems to be rare for a lens to become faulty anyway :)

£125 delivered, which is obviously a grey import but as someone said to me they're all made in the same factory anyway. The only difference is the warranty is with the seller rather than Nikon. Cheapest I had found for a UK one was £180 and Jessops sell them for £230 so still a good saving. It seems to be rare for a lens to become faulty anyway :lol:

That's an unbelievable saving, do those guys do the 18-200 at similar discounts? I don't mind a grey import, just want to save the cash! Surely the grey import is covered by the Nikon international warranty anyway isn't it?

£125 delivered, which is obviously a grey import but as someone said to me they're all made in the same factory anyway. The only difference is the warranty is with the seller rather than Nikon. Cheapest I had found for a UK one was £180 and Jessops sell them for £230 so still a good saving. It seems to be rare for a lens to become faulty anyway ^_^

That's an unbelievable saving, do those guys do the 18-200 at similar discounts? I don't mind a grey import, just want to save the cash! Surely the grey import is covered by the Nikon international warranty anyway isn't it?

The seller I bought from doesn't do the 18-200 but there are loads of others but they don't seem that much cheaper. Maybe a very popular lens so don't discount as much? Not sure about the International warranty, I'd imagine it is but the seller would hold it rather than me? :lol:

The seller I bought from doesn't do the 18-200 but there are loads of others but they don't seem that much cheaper. Maybe a very popular lens so don't discount as much? Not sure about the International warranty, I'd imagine it is but the seller would hold it rather than me? :lol:

I don't know, I always thought it didn't matter where you bought something in the world as it's covered by the international warranty - as you say though lenses rarely go wrong so I hope you never need to find out ^_^

Nice, I'll be interested to know as you get used to it whether 55mm is ok as the widest angle or if it requires frequent lens changes, because that is a very cost effective way of getting 200mm :huh:

Yeah that's what I'm abit worried about, that I might have to change lenses frequently, although I'm only planning on using this when I need the zoom. There is quite a difference between 18mm and 55mm though, this is the first time I've compared them side-by-side. Obviously the 18-200 would be ideal, hence the price!

Yeah that's what I'm abit worried about, that I might have to change lenses frequently, although I'm only planning on using this when I need the zoom. There is quite a difference between 18mm and 55mm though, this is the first time I've compared them side-by-side. Obviously the 18-200 would be ideal, hence the price!

Because my kit lens is 18-105 it gives a little more flexibility so a 55-200 might make sense as I'd only need it when I need proper closeups - in fact based on that logic a 70-300 might make more sense..........

I'm actually thinking of getting the 18-105 and sell the kit lens but I'll use what I've got first. Doing that would make a good walkabout lens which should have enough zoom for most situations though.

I'm actually thinking of getting the 18-105 and sell the kit lens but I'll use what I've got first. Doing that would make a good walkabout lens which should have enough zoom for most situations though.

Yeah it really is enough for most situations, haven't really had that many occasions that I've needed more - maybe I should just get over my unhealthy fixation of getting an 18-200 as I probably don't need it! :huh: