Some of my old dragbikes

liner33

Thought some might find this interesting or not

I started drag racing in 1992 and did it on and off until 2005 often when not racing i was crewing or setting up other bikes.

My first bike back in 1992 a 1983 Z1000 J model bored to 1200cc and turbocharged ran a best of 9.5 but then it would just wheelie so i needed a "proper" chassis

9397.jpg

Second bike which was the engine from the first into a modified chassis with wheelie bars and a one piece fibreglass body. Didnt get chance to race this one much due to work and life commitments and sold it a short time afterwards, it did however go onto to win the national championship with its new owner

6155.jpg

My 3rd dragbike

Started like this

5961.jpg

Was rebuilt with a 1325cc engine and modified chassis , ended like this

9433.jpg

The bug had bitten again so bought a complete dragbike again

1425cc , high compression 14/1 normally aspriated

My 4th dragbike

Started like this

5100.jpg

Finished like this

5969.jpg

5968.jpg

4961.jpg

Was a very strong bike motor wise but the chassis was weak , i had too much power for it and it needed a complete new frame really so i was contemplating having one built and this bike came up on ebay , since it was a similar spec i figured i could cherry pick the best parts of the engine and sell it on

So onto number 5 and the final one

Bought like this

4841.jpg

Finished like this

cb19.jpg

02.jpg

021.jpg

So the little yellow bike actually had a better frame than the old bike so I took the best from that and beefed up the yellow one adding new tubing and a set of wheelie bars , my old motor was freshened up and a very expensive head fitted along with nitrous. A then "state of the art" ignition/nitrous controller added with a lot of other work . The bike ran a best of 8.6@168 but again was a handful to ride , it was running around 280hp and was very hard to keep straight.

4902.jpg

4933.jpg

5515.jpg

5596.jpg

Decided to pack it all in at the end of 2005 as i really needed another new chassis and felt i wasnt a good enough rider to step up but wouldnt have been happy staying where i was. The bike and spare engines etc was all sold to a guy in Denmark and i started playing with jap cars instead :o

Wow, nice pictorial..... Although i rode a bike for 25yrs i never got involved with the sport side of bikes, i did get involved with Pro drag funny cars, setting their chassis and that was an utter arse, so i can't imagine what it was like on two wheels.

Wow, nice pictorial..... Although i rode a bike for 25yrs i never got involved with the sport side of bikes, i did get involved with Pro drag funny cars, setting their chassis and that was an utter arse, so i can't imagine what it was like on two wheels.

Its not that hard just need a tape measure usually but initially the last bike was bending the rear axle bolt (It was 24mm thick!!) so we has a real head scratching time working out why it wouldnt go straight