Decisions Decisions....

S2IM

So...

Been on the Bridgestone RE050's since I bought the car last year. (This will be my third set on the rears and fronts are now also needed).

On the Subaru I was an avid fan of the Falken FK452's. These tyres took a tremendous amount of punishment and for the price I was overly impressed.

Now the time has come to replace all four on the Honda I am tempted to go for the Falkens over the Bridgestones.

Any reason why I shouldnt? Are the sidewalls just as stiff on the Falkens as they are on the Bridgestones? (Real requirement for the S2000 and its handling - soft sidewalls such as toyo's wont do as they need to be over inflated from OEM spec)

Any advice appreciated :(

BTW... need them real soon! Rears down to 2.4mm!! :rolleyes:

3rd set on the rears in a year? :rolleyes: How much mileage you doing now?

I weren't keen on the Falkens on the mine in the wet but that's a completely different car so can't compare...maybe best sticking with what you know?

Done 13k now since I bought it. 2 Airfield days and one track day. Bridgestones I feel are ok... when it snaps it really goes. Cant help but feel the tyre choice can help with this too...

One thing - the Bridgestones were useless in the bad winter. Falkens were ok - but that was 4 wheel drive :rolleyes:

Are you using the Astra a few days a week like you were going to? I think any (non winter) tyre on a RWD would be useless in snow/ice wouldn't it...what do they recommend on the owners club?

Everything... Falkens get a good review. A lot of owners stick with BS or go for Goodyears Assym's which are another option I guess.

I do use the Astra yep... guess what... that needs new tyres and brakes as well :rolleyes: That will be just getting normal replacement as we haven't had any issues with that even on the fortuna sport SP2000's :( They have lasted a good 15k on the fronts and still have a few MM left. Nice tyres made from rock!!

Getting some good mileage then mate :D Makes me glad mine only cost £50 a corner these days!

Perhaps try a harder compound? Falkens are quite soft i cant see those lasting any longer. Sidewalls are softish also.

What about Kuhmos? Heard some good things ? I know Avons have stiff sidewalls and quite hard...

I do use the Astra yep... guess what... that needs new tyres and brakes as well :D That will be just getting normal replacement as we haven't had any issues with that even on the fortuna sport SP2000's :D They have lasted a good 15k on the fronts and still have a few MM left. Nice tyres made from rock!!

15K miles on a FWD diesel, that's good going mate :D

I know Avons have stiff sidewalls and quite hard...

You sure? I've had them before and they were like butter, the tyre wall cracked and yes they were on the right pressure! :D

I do use the Astra yep... guess what... that needs new tyres and brakes as well :D That will be just getting normal replacement as we haven't had any issues with that even on the fortuna sport SP2000's :D They have lasted a good 15k on the fronts and still have a few MM left. Nice tyres made from rock!!

15K miles on a FWD diesel, that's good going mate :D

I know Avons have stiff sidewalls and quite hard...

You sure? I've had them before and they were like butter, the tyre wall cracked and yes they were on the right pressure! :D

Yeah i think they were ZZ3's? They took a right beating!!

Had them on the STI (ZZ3) when i picked it up and I wasnt that impressed... they seemed flaky and looked like they would get demolished after a few thousand hard miles, the sidewalls were very soft in comparison to other makes. Got rid and put the Falkens on when the new wheels turned up.

I think the general issue is - they need to be grippy and have stiff sidewalls. If they last 6-7k then so be it. Would rather that than end up in a ditch :D

I would have to say Dunlop sp sport maxx OR the sport maxx GT....both have stiff sidewalls and are very grippy in the wet and dry and quiet aswell....Had them on my Lexus IS200 ....the chassis on the IS200 hates soft sidewall tyres and had a few problems with the Toyo T1-R`S having a soft sidewall and had to switch them from the rears to the front as the back end was moving all over the place...but putting them on the fronts was fine.... :D

Definatly give the Dunlops a go...i would more then recomend them. :D

• 2 weeks later...

4 x Falken FK452's fitted and Geo done. Few settings out but nothing major... wafty feeling at speed now corrected. Ill thank Dacorums best speed humps and pot holes for that :lol:

Cheers Pete for the setup and Tony for the PAX ride in the Lotus while I waited... always wanted to have a go in one as one of my dreams cars growing up. Love the squirrel munching noises it makes on letting off (turbo noises for those that don't know :D ) She's a gem and been well looked after, you got a "good un" ;)

Keep up the good work chaps and ill be back.

p.s Brake calipers are looking great after 15 minutes with a motorized wire brush :D