What affects tramlining...

Rich

I've had asymmetrical tyres before, which tramlined badly, these were Michelin Pilot Primacy and I hated them! Then went to the Toyo's and they didn't tramline that much, was happy with these. I then went with the Falken 452 after reading all the good reviews and TBH I hated these as well, they tramlined as badly as the Michelins, especially towards the end of their life. Both the Toyo's and Falken's have directional tread.

Last Friday I had 2 budget tyres fitted (Event), which use a symmetrical pattern and I've noticed over the weekend/today there is no tramlining at all so far. The tramlining was really spoiling the pleasure of driving as I had to be extra vigilant on roads I didn't know as when the car wanted to veer off there was no warning! Now this could change as they scrub in but I'm sure it won't and I know symmetrical patterns as less prone to tramlining but does the compound of the tyre have an affect?

Any tyre that has a continuous radial tread band will tend to tramline, this is an actual design feature :) Most symmetrical pattens are a mixture of different size blocks, these as you have experienced tend not to tramline but they don't offer the same performance as directional/ asymmetric tyres.

Obviously geometry angles can contribute to this as well.

One thing I noticed between the 2 directionals are the Toyo's don't have a solid line of rubber dividing the 'V' down the middle unlike the 452's...I take it this is what causes the tyre to tramline?

cat17.jpg

falken_fk452_lg.jpg

What benefits do directionals have over symmetrical tyres? I thought the tread pattern was only beneficial in the wet for clearing water away from the tread, unless that is what you mean?

Exactly that, better water dispersal.

:lol: So what about the tramlining I had on the 452's, was it caused by that solid block down the middle?

I would say yes.... Example the continental sport contact fitted to the Merc is designed to keep the car straight which is fine for German roads but with our rutted roads the cars all over the place.