Filters

parthiban

Despite being quite careful and keeping the lens hood on most of the time, looking at the prices of lenses I thought it might be wise to put a filter on my lens to prevent me from touching it or it getting accidentally scratched.

Should I go for an NC/skylight filter or a UV filter? From stuff I've read it seems that with DSLRs UV filters don't really make any difference, but thought I'd ask if there were any benefits.

Despite being quite careful and keeping the lens hood on most of the time, looking at the prices of lenses I thought it might be wise to put a filter on my lens to prevent me from touching it or it getting accidentally scratched.

Should I go for an NC/skylight filter or a UV filter? From stuff I've read it seems that with DSLRs UV filters don't really make any difference, but thought I'd ask if there were any benefits.

both cut UV, but the skylight can change the picture, nice for bright sunny days !

if it is just for protection choose the UV filter

they also protect the chip from UV as they dont like it

Have I got them muddled up then? I thought skylights were the same as neutral colour ones, as in they were just plain, clear glass.

Got the answer I needed though, thanks mate, UV it is :rolleyes:

Any recommendations? Or are they all essentially the same?

i got a simple uv filter for my lense size from a local photography supply store, theyre pretty much all the same unless paying good money for perfect glass. ( much like with buying lenses) definatly a must have accessory

Do you keep these filters on all the time or remove before fitting the lens? I take it they're only for DSLR cameras?

leave them on each lens you have

they fit on the end of the lens

as above, they screw into the outside end of the lens on slr or dslr cameras, i only have one, so i swap it between my 2 lenses but i will probably get a second for the other lens as its a pain in the bum unscrewing and screwing it between the lenses.

How does fitting these affect the photos then as I would've thought it will be like shooting through glass?

makes no difference, its to near the lens

hint:

if shooting through glass ie fish tanks, get the lens as close to the glass and you should get a clear shot, turn flash off

can be also used to shoot through car windows,

again if shooting through wire mesh/netting, set the focal point a fair distance and get close to the mesh, again you should get a clear shot with no mesh

How does fitting these affect the photos then as I would've thought it will be like shooting through glass?

makes no difference, its to near the lens

hint:

if shooting through glass ie fish tanks, get the lens as close to the glass and you should get a clear shot, turn flash off

can be also used to shoot through car windows,

again if shooting through wire mesh/netting, set the focal point a fair distance and get close to the mesh, again you should get a clear shot with no mesh

Good tips will have to try them :)