Bridgestone Potenza RE040

littlebrownbike

Would have preferred Eagle F1's again but I was in a rush and the RE040 were the only suitable tyres the garage had for my car. Can we get a general opinion on these tyres?

After 160 miles I can say they grip well in the dry, rather well in fact, they are more comfortable than the F1's they replace but they appear louder over rough surfaces. Apparently they aren't great in the wet or the cold, which is worrying as winter is coming fast. However I drive sensible in such conditions so shouldn't really be a problem.

The real test for me is will they get me up and down my hilly estate in the snow, and will they work well on a dry & warm lap of the nurburgring?? Final note, what are these tyres like for wear? I got 18,400 miles out of my Eagle F1's so would ideally like to see the same.

Also load index is 88Y...so many people on mondeo forums insist you need 92Y XL but fail to back this up. Its not in the manual or stamped on the car anywhere, and having 88Y all round still provides an excess of 265kg over the vehicles gross weight.

Also, bridgestones tyre selector returns 88W for my Mondeo.

Actually its not in the manual, and its not just me that can't find the answer, a search on google & mondeo forums reveals that there is no official information regarding to the mk3 mondeo and tyre load indexs.

However I jsut rang bridgestone technical, very friendly people, he advised me that the Z meant BMW 3 series but wouild be ok on my Mondeo, and that according to his data 88W is fine for the Mondeo ST220.