Balance weights on alloy wheels

MondeoGhiaX

hi.

ive just had tyres put on a set of alloy wheels. unfortunately, the balance weights on the outside rim completely ruin the look of the wheels. two of the wheels actually have a strip of 7 weights in a row, and look awful!

the weights appear to be stuck on. can they be moved to the inside of the wheels (if they dont foul on anything)? can i do this myself, or do they have to be re-balanced? why are there so many weights needed - i thought there is usually just one??

thanks.

I'd be interested to know what is the best thing to remove the black sticky residue from where old weights have been stuck on.

The garage should be able to stick the allow wheel weights anywhere but depends how sophisticated the balancing machine is. Seeing WIM's wheel balancer in action that can definately do the job for you.

Nick.

from what ive read, you should be able to remove the sticky stuff with any sort of solvent (petrol, thinners, meths etc).

apparently with older wheels like mine, the centre hole may not be perfectly central, as it is the wheel nuts alone that centralise the wheel on the hub. is this why the wheels were difficult to balance, as the balancing machine uses the centre hole?

You could ask them to use the centre-less wheel adaptor intended for Peugeot/Citroen wheels but I doubt most garages would want to spend the time doing so.

I'd be caefull putting thinners/solvent to an alloy wheel as it could damage the finish. Maybe heavily watered down and use a sharp knife to "help" the gunk off, being careful not to scratch the wheel.

i would guess the offset of these wheels is something like +45 or +50 (pretty big). but there is very little clearance between the the brake callipers and the inside edge of the wheel in some places. so i suppose it depends exactly where they have to put the weights.

why are there so many weights on some wheels, rather than just one on the rim that i'm used to?

thanks.

The additional weight varies if it's needs to compensate for wheel run-out/ tyre run-out, also it's a bit deceiving nowadays because the weight used is no longer lead, the new composite material is less efficient than lead so they have to use more of it.

If people have balanced the wheels with the old weights in situ they tend to collect over time. We had a bluebird in (i think) and it literllay had balance weights around the entire circumfrance of the wheel, save for the odd space here and there lol

it dont think my wheels are balanced properly. they seem to be ok up until just under 70mph, then the steering wheel vibrates noticeably.

i need to find a garage that can balance lug-centric wheels as opposed to hub-centric. is that right??

is it worth swapping the wheels around?

it dont think my wheels are balanced properly. they seem to be ok up until just under 70mph, then the steering wheel vibrates noticeably.

i need to find a garage that can balance lug-centric wheels as opposed to hub-centric. is that right??

is it worth swapping the wheels around?

Speed range sounds right for wheel balancing. "Lug-centric" sounnds right too, but TBH I'd be surprised if most garages (well Tyre bays maybe) would know what you mean lol

Swap around would be no more than a short term fix as tyre wear is an issue.

• 1 month later...

If you could get to WIM. (Where are you?)

Tony has a device that clamps the wheels to the balancer that uses the stud holes and not the hub centre. (I believe it cost him an awful lot of money, which is why you don't see many of them around!)

His balancing machine also shows how far into the rim to place the weights, not just the position on the rim.

h