I currently have an uprated Helix organic clutch fitted to the car. Whilst this is an excellent clutch with an OEM feel to it, I am looking to uprate my clutch further.. This is so it will be able to handle more power and also the racelogic launch control..

I still want to be able to drive the car pleasurably and also have no problems with just cruising around town etc.. So dont want anything thats too harsh.

Any recommendations ???

wouldnt advise a paddle clutch

personally i would stick with the organic, see how long it lasts

Yeah I love the feel of the organic clutch. The thing is if / when it does go it'll cost to replace. Where as at the moment it'll be free to change.

I don't think the organic one will hold up to alot of launch abuse. :)

Is there another uprated one with a softer feel other than a paddle?

The cerametalic sprung centre plate will cope with more torque than the organic alternative, and it has torsional vibration springs rather than being "solid" which improves the "feel" of the clutch. The downside is that there is a reduction is "user friendlines" as the metal to metal contact creates a vibration on engagement.

Here's a brief description of the cerametalic clutch, and it's advantages:

1. Instead of full annular shaped linings as with organic plates, there are trapezoid shaped buttons evenly spaced around the circumferance of the plate.

2. The cerametalic material is made from a powder consisting mainly of copper ceramic which is compressed and heated until it melts. When it cools it solidifies into a strong cerametalic material which is riveted onto the driven plate and machined flat.

1. They have a very low inertia which helps quicker gear changes and extends synchoniser life.

2. They have a relatively high and stable coefficient of friction of around 0.4 which increases the torque capacity.

3. They have a relatively high temperature tolerance of around 440 degrees C withiout showingsigns of fade.

4. The trapezoid button design allows over 50% of the flywheel pressure plate surface to be exposed to the atmosphere which allows convective heat transfer to improve by 100%.

5. They do not suffer from warpage as do full annular ring types.

6. They are considerably less sensitive to oil and grease contamination than organic material.

Having said the above, personally I would prefer to use an organic clutch as a daily driver but if it's not man enough then I think you may have little choice but to choose cerametalic.

Hope this helps :D

Is there no in between? It seems that its either feel or performance?

I guess I'll have to opt for the performance and sacrifice the feel.

What's a good clutch? and more importantly can you order me one please Mark and the flywheel?

Is there no in between? It seems that its either feel or performance?

I guess I'll have to opt for the performance and sacrifice the feel.

What's a good clutch? and more importantly can you order me one please Mark and the flywheel?

I am not aware of anything in between - sorry :D

A synchronous engaging multi plate clutch/flywheel is very nice to drive (a bit noisy when disengaged tho), but no-one seems to make one for the is200 :D

Under the circumstances I would recommend a Helix cerametalic kit. The new TDi flywheel is due for release in 3 weeks. Can you wait that long?

I'll have one of the Helix then please mate.

As for the flywheel. I guess I'll have to wait. I'm still waiting for internals anyway so 3 weeks should be cool :D

Thanks mate

OK, thanks Adie.

Do you want a complete clutch kit or just the centre plate? The clutch covers are identical between the organic and cerametalic kits. It is normal to replace both at the same time but you may get away with it if yours is not very old and is unabused.

I think the flywheel will be worth waiting for mate :D

As for the flywheel. I guess I'll have to wait. I'm still waiting for internals anyway so 3 weeks should be cool :D

Thanks mate

OK, thanks Adie.

Do you want a complete clutch kit or just the centre plate? The clutch covers are identical between the organic and cerametalic kits. It is normal to replace both at the same time but you may get away with it if yours is not very old and is unabused.

I shall take the whole lot please mate. Might aswell do the job properly :D

Thanks mate

OK, thanks Adie.

Will do Adie. Thanks very much :D

Thanks mate

OK, thanks Adie.

Do it once....Do right is a good motto.