Trying to diagnose a very slight knock

Hi All,

I have noticed on occasion over uneven/bumpy roads i get a very faint knock from the front - its not that loud right now but i have sharp ears and i notice it.

When parked up a kerb (one side up one down)i move the steering wheel a short distance either way in succession and i can reliably recreate a knock which i am sure its the same thing. I will try it on even ground later to see if its just on the kerb that it happens.

I was suspecting worn droplinks initially - no biggie... but would droplinks do that whilst parked up? Would there be play elsewhere that would cause the symptoms above when the wheel was 'waggled' ? Hopefully isnt the bigger bushes on the wishbones...

Cheers

Steve

Hi matey...i have a Lexus IS200 with a "knock" at the front like yourself.when going over uneven/bumpy road and also going over speed bumps.( It drives me nuts because i can hear it all the time ) :D ..Have a look at the drop links,suspension top mounts,or also could be the shock absorber.....with me im affraid its a case of looking and replacing things to get to the bottom of things.... :D B)

I hope you get to the bottom of the problem matey.... :o

I've given up trying to proxy-diagnose knocking sounds on forums. Take it into WIM, you know it makes sense. B)

I've got to go in for a fine tune anyway in the next week or so but i was just hoping for some ideas :o

I would sat DL or ARB rubbers..... I've never known the wishbone bushings to knock :o

Bizarre i never got an email notification on the thread ?

Ok cool - i think OEM droplinks are only a few quid from mx5parts, and i cant imaging ARB rubbers being expensive so i might get a set and bung them on and go from there :o

Steve-O

is yours UK or import?

If import it is not unusual for the ARB's to be upgraded.

Measure the diameter of ARB and check the size when you buy them. MX5 parts sell front ARB bushes for the NA in two sizes but do not give them, one is standard and the other is for the S Special and those models based on the S Special that has Bilstien shocks.

hth

h