ST220 Tyre Wear

Hello again Tony.

Today I noticed some uneven wear on my front offside tyre, I have just got back from the Nurburgring but the previous week I had a brief look at the tyres and did not notice any uneven wear.

Mondeo ST220

Last alignment 08/11/08 @ 69,700 miles

Current mileage 77,500 miles

The two front tyres have done 15,000 miles with 2.8mm tread remaining.

Always run @ 38psi

Car handles lovely with no pulling or wandering

printout.JPG

Nearside - Good

nearside.JPG

nearside2.JPG

Offside - Bad

offside.JPG

offside2.JPG

offside3.JPG

Is this a normal case of poor alignment? The thing is I don't park on curbs, I haven't hit any curbs, but I do straddle speed cushions there is a lot of them in my area. Although looking at those pictures it would appear the tyres are slightly over inflated...

Also, this is my front anti roll bar bush - is it of any concern? Car doesn't appear to have any excess roll...

bush.JPG

First up the image of the roll bar bushings will do nothing other than knock, the bar is allowed to travel transversely but not up/ down.

The Geo report is of little value when it comes to the end result for tyre wear after Nurburgring, i'll be more concerned with tyre temps and doing the math regarding the number of left/ right turns -VE- lateral forces.

There is no knocking from the front, or from anywhere at all and as you can see in my Nurburgring videos, no excessive roll. This is why I haven't bothered to have it replaced.

But the main purpose of this thread is to decipher why one tyre has wear on the inside, in my opinion it appears that it has been wearing poorly for several thousand miles.

Is this a case of the alignment being knocked out by something on the road?

Getting the anti roll bar bushes replaced Friday and will get another bloomin alignment on saturday. Will report back with the print out, but yes I would like to know why its been knocked out.

It's the road condition in general..... Pot holes are not the motorists best friend.

Ok its raining badly at the moment so I can't change the tyres over...

Took it to my local alignment centre, here are the results. Compare them to the original picture, that was done exacly 8,020 miles ago.

alignment.JPG

As you can tell, this does not explain the inside wear on the front right tyre. But after a discussion we came to the conclusion that;

Car aligned @ 57,700

Goodyear tyres on @ 62,000 (current tyres)

Alignment was knocked out at 69,045 and the steering wheel wasnt straight.

700 miles later I got the car aligned, this is the "before";

alignment2.JPG

The results are as they are at the top of this post, and the tyre wear as it is in my original post. It was said that because the tyre wore badly for 700 miles, it stuck in its memory and despite beging rectified, continues to wear like that. I chose not to have it realigned as the car ideally needs its front anti roll bar bushes doing. It will be aligned before I replace the tyres....for now I think I will swap them round in order to slow the wear.

Your thoughts?

Yes, but to such an extent as seen in my original post?

... -12' is like driving a mile then stopping and dragging the tyre 14ft sideways, add to this the additional camber and the pants make of tyre i think "yes".