mk mondeo st24 geometry prob ?

dollars2000

Hi guys , been referred to you for some help , have a 99 t reg mondeo st24 , for a while now n/s rear wheel has been rubbing on wheel arch very slightly , have changed rear shocks , this helped but not completely cured , only happens when got rear passengers , when you look at it under load ( some large friends sat in car) seems like the wheel angle is wrong , not by much but enough for it to catch the rear portion of the arch on the very outer edge of tyre , it only started happening after i got a puncture and put spare on ,i assumed the spare was same diameter as the alloys but turns out it was alot smaller , i drove it for a good few months before replacing tyre on alloy , when alloy was placed back on this rubbing became aparrent ,nothing seems bent to the eye , the only thing i have noticed is that the rear tubular bar (excuse my lack of part knowledge) that connects to bottom of hub that then runs down paralell with side of car appears closer to the tyre than on the other side , what could be the cause of this it seems like the wheel is a little twisted or something , please help , i have just purchased some rear trailing arms in the hope of rectifying prob is there anything else i should be focusing on prob.jpg

What size are the standard wheels and what size is the spare? If you've been running the spare for a few months I suppose you could bent the suspension components from that axle having different sized wheels.

Welcome to WIM aswell :huh:

What size are the standard wheels and what size is the spare? If you've been running the spare for a few months I suppose you could bent the suspension components from that axle having different sized wheels.

Welcome to WIM aswell :)

alloys are 18 inch and spare is normal standard 15 inch , what will i need to replace :huh: and thanks for the welcome

alloys are 18 inch and spare is normal standard 15 inch , what will i need to replace :huh: and thanks for the welcome

may have eerm done a right handed handbrake turn while spare was on too, it was last year , i know im a idiot, i forgot i had spare on ,and was showing of to my nephew , its not out by much , just catching slightly , subframe holes still look like they line up ect ,got some allignement pins coming to check for sure , what parts will i need to get, ive got some trailing arms , what are the bigger arms called ,the ones the rear droplinks sit on , will i need to replace them, bushes dont look too magic on them anyway , thanks so much for your help mate

That's some difference mate, you do know you insurance would've been invalid driving around like that....a spare is only meant to get you to a garage to change the tyre on the normal wheel.

So tyre size is probably 225/35/18 for the alloys and 195/60/15 for the spare? You would need a geometry done to find out what the angles are reading and go from there rather than guessing as to what could be the problem and replacing parts that don't need doing.

That's some difference mate, you do know you insurance would've been invalid driving around like that....a spare is only meant to get you to a garage to change the tyre on the normal wheel.

So tyre size is probably 225/35/18 for the alloys and 195/60/15 for the spare? You would need a geometry done to find out what the angles are reading and go from there rather than guessing as to what could be the problem and replacing parts that don't need doing.

tyres 225 40 18 and yes 195 60 15 , like i say bushes on rear all look a bit worse for wear , dont mind replacing all the parts just want to make sure im replacing right ones to correct the prob , do you know what the name of the large bar is in the pic that the rear droplink sits on , seems to have alot of play in the bushes , cant be doing with bush removal tool ect would rather just get shiny new bits , have just done everything up front end and is now tight as new want back to be same ,

The box arm in the photo if bent will affect the camber angle. This one is usually ok, mine have done nearly 180k miles and are fine. The arm behind this which is flat is used to adjust the toe. It's common for bending so I would check this and new ones (pattern) are around 20 - 30 quid. You will need a geometry whether you replace everything or not to check and adjust the angles (where possible). It's also possible your knuckle may be bent, probably unlikely but just another possibility.

I wasn't having ago about driving on the spare but if you had an accident they could try using that to get out of coughing up! :huh:

cheers mate , will fit the rear flat arms tomorrow , got a set off ebay were supposed to be new and arrived with cracked bushes , although in much better shape than mine , if these are to adjust the toe then i thinks this is where my trouble may lie , its as if the wheel has turned very slightly inwards , i assume this is toe , camber seems fine , will get geometry done either way , just spent a fortune on new tyres and cant afford to replace again ,

so to recap correct me if im wrong , if bushes on the flat rear trailing/torsion bars were badly worn could this allow the wheel to turn inwards everso slightly , on last tyre it seemed to nick the very top side wall of the tyre but at an angle ,if that makes sense ,wasnt rubbing on top of arch or at front of arch, just catching on the back as if tyre/wheel was turned in , only wore about a 2mm grove in tyre no matter what the load in back , it would not wear any deeper ,lighter load would just rub a bit , and with my sister ,bit of a large gal in back would be more constant but never seemed to penetrate any deeper , anyways thankyou so much for your help , i will let you know how all goes , also how much roughly is the proper 4 wheel geometry check , and is there anywhere near me ( in salisbury ) that you could reccomend , again many thanks ,

The through bolt visible in the trailing arm is central and horizontal so i'm not concerned with any bushings... Your problem is either incorrect wheel off-set, bent trailing arm or a bent transverse lower arm.

The probable angle that's incorrect is the toe, this would place the rim nearer to the trailing arm and allow the rear of the tyre to protrude toward the wheel arch making it rub under load.

The images in this thread show the toe arm is bent. It could just be the toe is wrong and needs correcting or it could be bent but not enough to see by eye. If you already have new parts you may as well fit them and then get a geometry done.

WIM is a 2 hour drive from you so if this is too far you could always find your nearest hunter equipped garage here - http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

The through bolt visible in the trailing arm is central and horizontal so i'm not concerned with any bushings... Your problem is either incorrect wheel off-set, bent trailing arm or a bent transverse lower arm.

The probable angle that's incorrect is the toe, this would place the rim nearer to the trailing arm and allow the rear of the tyre to protrude toward the wheel arch making it rub under load.

for give my lack of knowledge but what is the transverse lower arm , have had a look at thread with bent trailing arm , and my wheel is turning in the opposite direction ,which sounds like what you described , i believe wheel offset is correct ,as when i got car it had different alloys , after the spare incident , the prob first occured on the old alloys , before spare incident it was totally fine , have now swapped alloys and prob is still there and they are same offset as old ones , will replace rear arms tomorrow , need to know which are the lower transverse arms so can replace these as well , if that doesnt cure it will have to look at replacement hub as it may be bent , many thanks for your help

Terminology for these components differs.... The trailing arm is the one you displayed, the lower transverse arm is the one in the link, although sometimes this is also called the trailing arm?

The lower transverse arm is the one you adjust the toe angle from.

Terminology for these components differs.... The trailing arm is the one you displayed, the lower transverse arm is the one in the link, although sometimes this is also called the trailing arm?

thanks so much to everyone ,youve all been so quick to reply to me and with great knowledge , top site you got here , will let you know how i get on , again many thanks youve been brilliant , :smile_anim: :nowink:

thanks so much to everyone ,youve all been so quick to reply to me and with great knowledge , top site you got here , will let you know how i get on , again many thanks youve been brilliant , :angry2: :wacko:

just to say fitted new trailing arms yesterday , noticed the nut attatching arm to subframe was loose and had allowed the adjuster bolt to move , have now realligned ,and wheel no longer rubs , thanks for all your help , will be getting all round geometry done asap , thanks again much appreciated