Mazda MX5 mk3 nc adjustable drop-links

Tony

I am still trying to work out the need for them to be adjustable as lifting the bar up or down does nothing to add or reduce torsion to the ARB as it just rotates the bar in the bushings. Unless you adjust one side and not the other but why would you want to do this?

Totally true... the project is flawed other then positioning the connecting pin horizontally, removing compliance or corner pre-load for specific tracks.

Oh well, time to move on.

Well I have fitted the adjustable drop links on my car. I tried best I could to line everything up so that the pin is horizontal but as the original links are staggered and the new ones straight they ended up looking like this on the rear:

21032009514.jpg

21032009515.jpg

Hopefully someone can explain the use of adjusting the length but the next photo shows that adjusting the length would only rotate the bar in the bushing:

21032009516.jpg

I have tried to make it so that bar is parallel to the mounting face across the back of the car. I haven't tested the car in anger yet so I can not say if there is any noticeable difference in how the anti roll bar reacts.

The pin is perpendicular but not as bad as i thought, the position is perfectly fine. Steve gave me permission to display the pre-load calculator but as we all now know you cannot pre-load both sides so what's the point?

It will be good to see if you notice the difference now there's no compression from the old links knuckle joints.

So to pre-load them one side has to be longer/shorter than the other? So good for track use if all the bends go the same way but not road use?

They should still be stronger than the OEM links and being rosejoints last alot longer as I said the other day :D

So to pre-load them one side has to be longer/shorter than the other? So good for track use if all the bends go the same way but not road use?

They should still be stronger than the OEM links and being rosejoints last alot longer as I said the other day :D

Great for a high percentage track or oval but not domestic, they are strong and belay the normal compression from the oem links.

I wonder if I can call Steve myself and see if he can try and get it into my head how these are meant to work. lol.

A nice set of boots to keep the rose joints clean would be cool too. I might see what I can do with some electrical gland shrouds from work. lol

Call Steve, he knows we have a set out for testing, plus the boots would be a nice addition.