Why does my car lift a front wheel off the ground

Daz f

Here is a racing dolomite doing about the same

Is it just a trait of the Dolomites to do this ?

I hope mine hasnt turned to jelly

cornering.jpg

I see that.... But the problem then was diagonal loading during transition, plus castor sweep was a mystery in those days.

The images of your car are under thrust application, do you agree with that?

Yes it does seem to happen under accelerating out of tight corners

Could the rear suspension be set up too soft ?

Yes..... roll centre couple could be way off.... That's why i'm concerned about the removed sway?

Here is a racing dolomite doing about the same

Is it just a trait of the Dolomites to do this ?

I hope mine hasnt turned to jelly

cornering.jpg

I see that.... But the problem then was diagonal loading during transition, plus castor sweep was a mystery in those days.

The images of your car are under thrust application, do you agree with that?

Yes it does seem to happen under accelerating out of tight corners

Could the rear suspension be set up too soft ?

Yes..... roll centre couple could be way off.... That's why i'm concerned about the removed sway?

How can i check this

All of the Racing Dollies had the rear anti roll bar removed.

I have consulted my mentors about your issue.... we can discuss the solution once you have consumed the reason.

Here is the reply>

It's quite common to see vintage rear wheel drive cars "lifting a front paw" it's born of the use of a series of major "crutch" style handling modifications designed to overcome the inherently poor dynamic behavior of the base design.

I could talk forever about this subject because it's VERY in depth and very interesting beleive me, but in simple layman's terms it's caused by the compression amount of the outside rear suspension being far greater than the front inside corners maximum available droop.

The fact that it's lifting the entire front corners is actually quite a testament to the chassis stiffness, and ultimately the dynamic weight distribution will work best set-up like this. Ok so it's not an ideal situation in these enlightened modern times but it's a way to get the best out of an old chassis.

Sounds like it would be tricky to fix without a major re-think ? I think the fact the factory cars, albeit from a fair few years ago, displayed the same behaviour doesn't bode well ?

This example needs a unique solution, i'm reasonably clued up on chassis dynamics but i'm far from God so even i seek enlightenment in certain situations. My "mentor" offers reasons but not realistic solutions other than weight distribution indexing?............... I'm ok with that but i feel the solution will belay the goal and hinder the car's intentions.

Sounds like it would be tricky to fix without a major re-think ? I think the fact the factory cars, albeit from a fair few years ago, displayed the same behaviour doesn't bode well ?

This example needs a unique solution, i'm reasonably clued up on chassis dynamics but i'm far from God so even i seek enlightenment in certain situations. My "mentor" offers reasons but not realistic solutions other than weight distribution indexing?............... I'm ok with that but i feel the solution will belay the goal and hinder the car's intentions.

I can see this is going to be complicated :lol:

I dont mind if i have to cut the car about abit or change things

I have owned it since 1983 and dont mind how long or how much £ it takes to get it right

So i need to get the corner weights done to see what i have

Probably some new remote res shocks ? of decent quality valved correctly ?

I was thinking some of these

Nitron NTR Track double adjustable dampers

Some decent quality springs ( i currently use Faulkners ) Progressive ??

This is all i can think of to do so far :)

Engines aren't my strong point but is it a cossie? :thumbsup_anim:

Yes it is a cossie engine

Here is my rolling road report

Its a bit more powerfull now due to more boost and nitrous

Got to love the cosworth engine

dazdolly001.jpg

That's mental!! ;) :D

Don't suppose you have a copy of the feature when it was in Retro so I (we) can have a read? :)

Here is a link to the retro mag feature

http://www.triumphowners.com/alg1k.pdf

AND a bit of a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9VciqTPCMI