225/45/r17 94W instead of 215/50/r17 91W

NickT

Hi Tony and all.

Question about tyres and re-sizing for the wifes newish car.

Car is Vectra C 57plate Elite model with 3.0 V6 CDTI Turbo 184PS with original fit 17 inch 7j 7xdual spoke alloys on (still cheaper than a divorce !!!!!!!!)

OEM Tyres Goodyear NCT5 215/50/r17 91W

The fronts are getting worn with 3mm left at 13,000 miles and will need replacing in a couple of months.

I bought an extra alloy rim to have a decent spare instead of the space saving rubbish.

When I did a search of tyres to fit on the rim I found there is a limited variety of tyres for this car.

Also the current goodyears don't seem to be to good in the wet(, seems to have worn down past the sipes leaving 4 solid "rings").

Doing a search on forums it appears a lot of people fit 225/45/r17 instead as the choice is larger and the tyres are a lot cheaper.

I put the numbers in a tyre size calculator and the difference is only 2%. ie speedo reads 70mph actual speed is 68mph.

If I did put the wider tyres on I am thinking of getting the spare done at the same time as the two fronts and putting the wider tyres on the rear so the narrower tyres are on the front to wear them out.

Is this an acceptable thing to do considering the cost of replacement or would all 4 tyres have to be changed?

Also I have read that it is recommended on the V6 CDTI model to fit a higher load index tyre ie a 95W instead of a 91W due to the weight of the big engine.

If I did would there be a requirement to change the tyre pressure to compensate?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

NickT.

There's no problem you fitting the 225/45 but they will need to go on the rear, the higher load index is wise as well since they are a heavy beast.

I would be inclined to use the OEM pressure but monitor the way they wear.

Thanks for the advise.

In your experience with tyres what would be a good match for the Vectra.

I'm looking more into good traction in dry and more so in the wet, not so bothered about road noise.

I'm not into getting cheapy budget eastern made rubbish.

I would be happy to get 15k miles out of them.

NickT