Mazda MK3 NC lowering coils & bushing issue

Tony

According to the Mazda workshop manual after the coils are installed the front top wishbone bolts can to be tightened with the wheel off the ground. This is totally wrong because if wheels are off the ground and the entire suspension system is relaxed.

Once tightened and lowered to the ground the suspension will compress and rotate the locked bushing about 45 degrees, effectively pre-loading the bushing.

The first image is the bushing under load (forgive the quality) to the right of the bright metal you can just see the rubber fingers of the bushing swept at an angle.

post-2-1222286610.jpg

The method to measure the trim height is mid wheel to mid centre of the wheel arch in the vertical plane

post-2-1222286749.jpg

Remember the coils had just been fitted by the dealer..... The measurement was 360mm

post-2-1222286992.jpg

I then released the bushings so they could relax, here is the drop

post-2-1222287066.jpg

20mm drop!!...... Considering the lowering coils are designed to give a 30mm drop isn't it odd that the bushing "according to Mazda" should suspend 20mm of it?

If you intend Mazda to install the coils please be wise for these reasons...

1: A loaded bushing will act like a flotation device and affect the handling

2: A loaded bushing will wear very quickly

3: No Geometry will be final because of #2

4: The correct trim height should be 340mm + - 5mm front and rear

Just to challenge Mazda's method, since the bushings metal inner core is locked and only the rubber is allowed to rotate then shouldn't that rotation start with the bushings relaxed at mid-point?

You'd think after 20 years of Roadsters Mazda would have it down to a fine art by now...

They did until regulation got in the way...... And i can tell you this hand on heart the NC has the best chassis i have every seen in 30yrs of calibration....... once all the EU crap has been scraped off.

Another example today....

Bushings pre-loaded 365mm

post-2-1222888168.jpg

Bushings relaxed 350mm

post-2-1222888197.jpg

Repair time: 15sec, cost to the customer: £0, performance gains and future maintenance savings £immeasurable.

sounds like a advert for barclay card :D

i know i want a mx-5 at some point though.watchin tony set one at the centre left me in amazment of the prospects off this car :) soon as i got 1 it would be straight to wim for some serious tweeks to the chassis ;)

when fitting the rear beam on my astra.it says to fit beam bolts in and lower car.bounce rear 3 times then jack up and tighten bolts....surely this would have the same effect on the bushes as you found opn these tony?

and wondering if i should tighten it up whilst on the ground :D

In the air i think you mean...... If you did you would have a dragster, scary thing is the bushings would hold some serious preload so the handling is anyone's guess?

looks like i shall be crankin it off and tightening up when on ground then :D does seem a bit od on the rear now ive had a week to get use to it again lol

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the ride height of my NC 2.0 Sport - Eibach springs fitted by dealer on 3rd August 2007

Front 345mm - Rear 340mm

I looked in the front wheel arches and found twisted bushes!

I released the bushes and checked the ride height again

Front 340mm - Rear 340mm

Has the 5mm drop upset the alignment?

I checked the ride height of my NC 2.0 Sport - Eibach springs fitted by dealer on 3rd August 2007

Front 345mm - Rear 340mm

Front 340mm - Rear 340mm

A fraction.... Drops that i have imaged where between 15 and 20mm and they needed attention.

A tell-tail sign apart from any handling changes is the steering wheel position.

Front 345mm - Rear 340mm

Front 340mm - Rear 340mm

A fraction.... Drops that i have imaged where between 15 and 20mm and they needed attention.

A tell-tail sign apart from any handling changes is the steering wheel position.

I looked up the cars last alignment report (7th July 2008) which showed the ride height to be 355mm all round which can't be right :o

When your machine is working again :lol: I'll arrange to drop in and let you see it.

Front 345mm - Rear 340mm

Front 340mm - Rear 340mm

I looked up the cars last alignment report (7th July 2008) which showed the ride height to be 355mm all round which can't be right :o

When your machine is working again :lol: I'll arrange to drop in and let you see it.

Are you on 16" or 17" wheels?

Front 345mm - Rear 340mm

Front 340mm - Rear 340mm

17"

Front 345mm - Rear 340mm

Front 340mm - Rear 340mm

17"

Then assuming the height is still the same then it's needs checking again.

Front 345mm - Rear 340mm

Front 340mm - Rear 340mm

When your machine is working again :o I'll arrange to drop in and let you see it.

17"

Then assuming the height is still the same then it's needs checking again.

I measured the heights again this morning and the height is 340mm all round.

Interestingly since the last alignment I have acquired a second set of wheels and have changed sets 3 or 4 times. I change the wheels one side at a time using two jacks. This would shift a lot of weight to the other side (even more than the body roll when cornering :huh: ). Could this have an effect?