Track day (Theoretical)

Tony

I am new to the track my RWD SW20 is set with -40mm coil-overs, rated sways but with stock wheels and tyres.

I desire winding response and occasional high speed security for the track, what is best camber or castor, also is camber at the rear relevant?

I presume I'm not allowed to answer, based upon our previous conversations? :huh:

The area is so debatable everyone can answer.... Chassis Geometry is never final, wim wants everyone to understand this. Read the forces and manipulate to your hearts content!

SW20 Geometry you evolve as described in the thread, requested by the owner... All the forces are available here in past posts for research if needed.

Question me this Mike when i write your set-ups, without even seeing the car, how can this be possible?

Read and understood.

I'm planning a little jaunt to Europe in August, which will involve a few spins (sic) around a rather difficult circuit in Germany.

Will plan on a visit to see you very soon!

Your car needs to be set on the new machine :huh: various reasons?....wim is evolving, I think something wonderful is going to happen.

You have a new machine?

On a more jokey side, is it this :huh:, http://www.grubinski.com/grubinski/photos/...nment/index.php make sure you scroll down for the pictures.

;) What's wrong with that...... This is my new machine....

post-2-1151314658_thumb.jpg

And people think I'm not well equipped ;)

Only joking my new baby the Hunter 3D Arago is real 3D Geometry the best machine on the market.

If you get one, you can bring it round to try it out, mobile geometry setting, you could be onto a winner there.

I expect it costs more than the string and stands though <_<, :rolleyes:.

A lot more.. obviously the accuracy is lower than a machine in the shop but ideal for track days... The only real issue is set-up costs on the day.... The machines cost reflects the fact that the set-ups are not only seasonal but conclude mainly on the weekend, so the 'per car', per weekend, per season hits a high monetary value toward the customer £250 per set/recover would be cheap.

Fffffinally had my 15mm spacers fitted to the fronts of the MR2 today......

looks real sweet, the wheels sit flush with the arch...but

at heighty mph the wheel gets real shaky!!!!!

Adding 15mm bares a consequence to the off-set, was this considered by the shop?... in addition the 'scrub radius' is more positive this has a bearing on the stability.

If you get one, you can bring it round to try it out, mobile geometry setting, you could be onto a winner there.

I expect it costs more than the string and stands though <_<, :rolleyes:.

wim intends track day support in the very near future.

You've probably also lost any hub centering on the spigot hence the high speed vibe...

No, these were hubcentric spacers from H&R, specific to the MR2

Test them.... remove the spacers, test drive the car... re-fit, test drive the car. Or have the wheels balanced on a 'studded plate' with the spacers fitted... If all fails, and i think it will then it's the scrub radius.

• 1 month later...
I am new to the track my RWD SW20 is set with -40mm coil-overs, rated sways but with stock wheels and tyres.

I desire winding response and occasional high speed security for the track, what is best camber or castor, also is camber at the rear relevant?

Roger440: How would you address this set-up if requested?

Errr, what is a SW20? Im guessing at something Jap given the nature of most of the forum members? I'm big into american and aussie cars (nothing like a challenge!) so excuse my ignorance.

Could you expand on what a winding response is?

Errr, what is a SW20? Im guessing at something Jap given the nature of most of the forum members? I'm big into american and aussie cars (nothing like a challenge!) so excuse my ignorance.

Could you expand on what a winding response is?

What i wonder is if given the chance to evolve a safe Toyota MR2 for fast road, the car is fully adjustable how would you manipulate the positions?...... don't forget this is not a test only fun for debate :D

I'll have a think about that. Never got involved in a mid engined car before. Driven a couple, both lotus elise early and late. Early one was a disater, it was always turning round!!

Im guessing things will be a bit different.

Ok so it says MR2 in the thread title. Sorry!

I'll have a think about that. Never got involved in a mid engined car before. Driven a couple, both lotus elise early and late. Early one was a disater, it was always turning round!!

Im guessing things will be a bit different.

Ok so it says MR2 in the thread title. Sorry!

Yes mate early MR2 SW20 no mods other than the sus drop.. fully adjustable... request safe fast road..... remember this is for fun!!!!!!

Errr, what is a SW20?

Toyota MR2 Mk2.....Uk spec was a 2 litre normally aspirated 4-pot, the Jap version (import) added a turbo in various configurations and will wipe the floor with 90% of the vehicles on UK roads.

Roger440.... jap Devil is 'rather keen' on the SW20 :D i thought i would let you know :blink: